Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smoking doesn't work??

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1443934386215.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443934490622.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Anyone worry about getting skin cancer from smoking up. Before you laugh me off the forum take a look at this:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/05/20/columbus-increasing-cancer-rates-in-firefighters.html

I know that most the carcinogens from firefighting smoke is from burning plastics and unknown fuels.....but the carbon from hardwood smoke probably causes cancer TOO....just curious?

After fishing tournaments for the last 30+ years, I think a little smoke will take a back seat too the sun....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After Corey's post I thought of a question. First off, I don't think burning wood will cause cancer. Treated lumber? Yeah, but not natural wood. Anyway... To go along with his post and it may prove it right or wrong, are there documented cases of cancer from back in the "old days"? You know, Cowboys and injuns? I'm too lazy to google it right now. But like Jesse James or Sitting Bull or some shit... Other than tobacco, would they get cancer from say, sitting around the campfire?

Just for the record, everything causes cancer anymore. Cripe, eat a carrot... Danger for cancer. Cancer sucks.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
2 does downwind this morning. Picked there heads up and sniffed in my direction but never spooked. I'm smoked up and they hung around for 10 minutes or so

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well I will say this I smoked up very heavy tonight and went to the stand straight from the smoker to the stand no road trip just a walk through the yard. I had not hunted this stand or any stand with in a mile of this one so these deer have not been hunted by me with a smoker or anybody else with one for that matter. I watch a doe with twins come out of a corn field a half mile away get to my down wind side feeding and pick their head up and run bak into the corn. This was at 4. At 5 a small buck came out of the corn feeding and sure enough he got to the same place and stop looked my way and he hit the corn as hard as he could. At 630 another doe with one fawn come out of the corn field fed south till they got to the same spot the other four spooked at and the did the same thing. Now I no these deer were a half mile from me because this is a square section. And I know these deer could no way see me in my stand 20 yards inside the woods. I'm here to tell you I've never seen deer spook so easy in my life. Needless to say my clothes are getting washed as I write this I'm just hoping it comes out of my clothes. Because I do believe it can hurt you just as easy as it can help you. I'm going back to my old ways after watching what I watched tonight.

When you say you "smoked up heavy tonight" describe to me the process you used to smoke up.

Do you think it possible a coyote had come through and urinated there. I was sitting in my stand once and saw a coyote come down the edge of the field and poss on a big clump of corn waste the combine spit out. Over the next 4 hours I watched multiple deer walk past it and turn inside out. Each time they got downwind or close to it they would turn around and haul back to where they came from. One even went back and started blowing.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
When you say you "smoked up heavy tonight" describe to me the process you used to smoke up.

Do you think it possible a coyote had come through and urinated there. I was sitting in my stand once and saw a coyote come down the edge of the field and poss on a big clump of corn waste the combine spit out. Over the next 4 hours I watched multiple deer walk past it and turn inside out. Each time they got downwind or close to it they would turn around and haul back to where they came from. One even went back and started blowing.

My shed is 10 by 12 that I keep my hunting supplies in. My clothes came out of my tote to hangers nailed on the rafters. I started the smoker and covered these with smoke for a good 10 minutes. I through another two handfuls of chips in and saturated myself standing in my skibbys from head to toe. I put the smoker back under my clothes and the ploom of smoke was just a haze rolling out of my shed door and it was closed. The shed was so thick with smoke I couldn't take it anymore. This went on for 45 mins of solid smoke. I let my clothes hang over the smoker while I came in and done a few things. I came back out then smoked down me again to the point I was gasping for air. Now I didn't where any stitch of clothing to the woods that I wore around the house. All my clothes came out of my tote and into a cheech and chong movie and straight to the woods. Im not saying it don't work but I seen 6 deer that didn't want nothing to do with it. The buck I killed last year was dead down wind the whole time he came in I killed him at 35 yards but after seeing what I seen yesterday makes me think a little different. As far as yotes anything is possible I reckon

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Inhale anything long enough in the smoke form and I suspect it will or could do some damage. Advent of plastics in toys, clothes, furniture, carpets, etc are the reason it is so critical to pack up to fight fires. Obviously, being able to breathe inside a structure fire helps. Carcinogens from my smoker can't be as bad as those from a house fire. Only temporary as well.

If we are bringing up FD stuff, how about cleaning your gear? Much of the skin cancers from FD duty is from guys not cleaning their turnout gear. Clean gear protects better from fire as well. I suppose clean hunting gear with fresh smoke is better than smoke on dirty gear.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20151004_181434.jpg
Everything is smoked up and I'm in a blind. Wind from the rear and deer is 20' from me.....you make the call.
Deer stayed 30 minutes.

themedic

OHIO
After Corey's post I thought of a question. First off, I don't think burning wood will cause cancer. Treated lumber? Yeah, but not natural wood. Anyway... To go along with his post and it may prove it right or wrong, are there documented cases of cancer from back in the "old days"? You know, Cowboys and injuns? I'm too lazy to google it right now. But like Jesse James or Sitting Bull or some shit... Other than tobacco, would they get cancer from say, sitting around the campfire?

Just for the record, everything causes cancer anymore. Cripe, eat a carrot... Danger for cancer. Cancer sucks.

They say not to eat burnt food, you wouldn't think thst would cause cancer?

themedic

OHIO
Hickory gives me headaches as well. Thus I switched to oak and no problems. Now I can't find oak so I switched to apple.

I don't know many people that burn apple to heat their home.....kinda like pine I'de guess. Does anybody have a problem with apple?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't know many people that burn apple to heat their home.....kinda like pine I'de guess. Does anybody have a problem with apple?

You're thinking is all wrong. It's not that they associate the smell of smoke with someone's woodstove. It's just simply that smoke has never tried to kill them. They don't see it as a predatory smell. But it is also not something that they haven't likely ran across in their life. If you go into an area busting deer out left and right smelling like smoke it will not take them long to make the association.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Deer smell smoke all the time so it's nothing strange to them.
House fires smoke and a smoker scent wood smoke is not in the least are comparable. As I feel few or none of us are dumb enough to smoke up with burnt plastic, and other foreign items that would be found in a house fire.

themedic

OHIO
You're thinking is all wrong. It's not that they associate the smell of smoke with someone's woodstove. It's just simply that smoke has never tried to kill them. They don't see it as a predatory smell. But it is also not something that they haven't likely ran across in their life. If you go into an area busting deer out left and right smelling like smoke it will not take them long to make the association.

I agree....I was just checking. I belive Rex told me oak smoke has more antimicrobials.....anyone else heard this?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have used mesquite and the last time I looked ohio doesn't grow that tree lol. Probably couldn't find one within 1000 miles. Deer didn't care anymore about it then they do oak, hickory, or the apple chips I have used. Wood smoke is just that doesn't seem to matter to the deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree....I was just checking. I belive Rex told me oak smoke has more antimicrobials.....anyone else heard this?

Doubt he told you that, more like you read it hear after your article was posted. You formerly suggested using pine needles. The fact is HARDWOODS, such as oak, hickory, mesquite, and yes apple, are all higher in phenol. In fact, there are 20 phenolic compounds in hardwood smoke. The primary component which MAY be why smoke works, is carbolic acid...the first anti-septic, discovered by Joseph Lister (Listerine).

One of the reasons I quit doing SS; redundancy. Repeating the same thing over and over, gets old. All of this information was readily available on the SS website, for those that chose to read it. Additionally, most all these folks here have said all this probably a dozen times each, and are likely tired of repeating this crap too. That is why the *sticky* thread exist... There are NO questions to be asked that haven't been, same with the answers...

If you don't want to try smoke, don't think it works.... who cares. Many of us have seen it work far more times than it's failed, no one will convince us it isn't effect. For those that don't want to use it... DON'T.

Read this:

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?12934-Smokers-Welcome-Official-Scent-Smoker-Thread

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
So , is the kind of woof ya smoke with a personal preference ? Like say ya like your ribs hickory smoked but hate Apple smoked...would it be a fair assumption to use hickory to smoke clothes with ?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have used mesquite and the last time I looked ohio doesn't grow that tree lol. Probably couldn't find one within 1000 miles. Deer didn't care anymore about it then they do oak, hickory, or the apple chips I have used. Wood smoke is just that doesn't seem to matter to the deer.

I shot a bull elk at 4 steps while smelling like hickory. I was in the high desert of New Mexico, I don't think there was a hickory tree for 500 miles! :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Doubt he told you that, more like you read it hear after your article was posted. You formerly suggested using pine needles. The fact is HARDWOODS, such as oak, hickory, mesquite, and yes apple, are all higher in phenol. In fact, there are 20 phenolic compounds in hardwood smoke. The primary component which MAY be why smoke works, is carbolic acid...the first anti-septic, discovered by Joseph Lister (Listerine).

One of the reasons I quit doing SS; redundancy. Repeating the same thing over and over, gets old. All of this information was readily available on the SS website, for those that chose to read it. Additionally, most all these folks here have said all this probably a dozen times each, and are likely tired of repeating this crap too. That is why the *sticky* thread exist... There are NO questions to be asked that haven't been, same with the answers...

If you don't want to try smoke, don't think it works.... who cares. Many of us have seen it work far more times than it's failed, no one will convince us it isn't effect. For those that don't want to use it... DON'T.

Read this:

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?12934-Smokers-Welcome-Official-Scent-Smoker-Thread

:smiley_clap: