Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smoking doesn't work??

Simply smelling of smoke is not enough. Standing around a fire and your clothes having a smoke scent isn't going to work. You have to smoke everything including your hair, hands, and any exposed flesh. When guys get in the shower and it activated the smoke particulates, the same happens when they sweat. If you're wearing smoked up clothes but your body is unsmoked you're going to put off human scent. Now of I smoke my hair and begin to sweat it smells heavily of smoke. Try this out. Smell the palms of your hands. Odds are they have a scent detectable by your nose. Now rub both your hands vigorously through your hair. Like your drying your head with a towel but sans the towel. Now smell your hands. If you can smell it a deer can smell it 100 yards away. It is imperative that these areas be smoke also for that reason.

One thing I didn't do last year that I had in years past was to smoke up two towels and two washcloths for when I shower. You cannot get any better than drying yourself off with a well smoked towel and then cover up your body with well smoked clothes. Really think it makes a big difference!

brancher147

Simply smelling of smoke is not enough. Standing around a fire and your clothes having a smoke scent isn't going to work. You have to smoke everything including your hair, hands, and any exposed flesh. When guys get in the shower and it activated the smoke particulates, the same happens when they sweat. If you're wearing smoked up clothes but your body is unsmoked you're going to put off human scent. Now of I smoke my hair and begin to sweat it smells heavily of smoke. Try this out. Smell the palms of your hands. Odds are they have a scent detectable by your nose. Now rub both your hands vigorously through your hair. Like your drying your head with a towel but sans the towel. Now smell your hands. If you can smell it a deer can smell it 100 yards away. It is imperative that these areas be smoke also for that reason.

I was not arguing it would not work, I am sure it does. I was just saying that any scent is released in the air with the addition of water, more than it would be if it was dry. I would like to try the smoking thing, but like I said any smoke gives me a headache, and I already spend enough time getting ready to go out in the woods.

Kaiser878

ohio
Just the thought of smelling like smoke makes me sick.. I can't stand smelling like a campfire. I also get terrible headaches from it.

I have a process I use. It works and it works very well.... I can't see a reason to change. Not to mention, I can see myself catching something on fire. Ha

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not trying to step on any toes or bust any balls here but. If someone believes it won't work then it just won't work.
As for me 3 years ago I thought the guys posting here about smoke scent control was pulling everyone's leg. I tried it 3 years ago and never had a negative result.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I may be the lone disenter around here. For the record, I have tried it and I don't care for it. I don't ever say that it doesn't work. I just don't care for it. To me, it is far more work than is necessary.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I may be the lone disenter around here. For the record, I have tried it and I don't care for it. I don't ever say that it doesn't work. I just don't care for it. To me, it is far more work than is necessary.
I'll do whatever it takes to go undetected by a whitetails nose. If that means an extra 15 minutes prep time, I'm fine with it. I enjoy the whole process, gives me time to get in kill mode.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Come to Hamilton Meirs they had plenty of oak when the wife picked up my hickory.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Not trying to step on any toes or bust any balls here but. If someone believes it won't work then it just won't work.
As for me 3 years ago I thought the guys posting here about smoke scent control was pulling everyone's leg. I tried it 3 years ago and never had a negative result.

The comment about pulling legs is really funny to me. The first time I logged on here, I read that and thought no way. These guys have some inside joke going. Figured they were laughing about how many idiots they talked into running around smelling like a campfire lol. Also thought maybe it was an attempt to save the herd a little since there's no way a deer is going to be relaxed around that smell. Nope. It actually works really well and is a deadly tactic. Like I've heard others say- I've learned way more on this forum than anywhere else and I'm still learning. Not only some really good people on here but some deer killing machines too!

Hogmister13

Okay so here is my process. I do my usual routine of eliminating any human odor. Trust me I'm a scent control freak. Begin with taking chloraphil pills 3 weeks before season and continue to take them everyday. Wash scent blocker suit, base layers, underwear, towels ect. I shower, brush teeth with baking soda, as well as baking soda the shit out of the inside of my boots. Also I remove any air freshener that's In my truck 3 weeks prior. Spray down completely with scent away and the new trinity . I have killed a lot of deer using this technique including 3 160's with my bow and I know two of those bucks were straight downwind. I wanted to try out the scent smoker cause im up for anything to beat a deers nose but I wanted to test it first. At one of my spots I had 3 bucks coming pretty regular all summer but nothing I wanted to shoot. There was one particular 8 point that was 4.5 year old but was only packing about 130 inches of horn so I decided to test it in that stand. I waited for a bad wind to sit Done my daily routine of scent elimination then hung my clothes in a ground blind and smoked them 30 minutes and myself for as long as I could hold my breath. Went to the stand, like clockwork the bucks appeared but as soon as they crossed my wind they stuck there nose in the air, stomped for bout 10 minutes then flagged and then it was blowjob city ! I know for sure they didn't see me because they never looked in my direction, they were just lookin all around trying to find me once they caught my wind. I just feel like the deer where I hunt are not used to a lot of smoke especially early season. There is houses near by though. I'm gonna give it another try in the fall but I will prob stick with my ritual, it's paid off for me. Anybody one here use the smoker in Ky a lot ?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Okay so here is my process. I do my usual routine of eliminating any human odor. Trust me I'm a scent control freak. Begin with taking chloraphil pills 3 weeks before season and continue to take them everyday. Wash scent blocker suit, base layers, underwear, towels ect. I shower, brush teeth with baking soda, as well as baking soda the shit out of the inside of my boots. Also I remove any air freshener that's In my truck 3 weeks prior. Spray down completely with scent away and the new trinity . I have killed a lot of deer using this technique including 3 160's with my bow and I know two of those bucks were straight downwind. I wanted to try out the scent smoker cause im up for anything to beat a deers nose but I wanted to test it first. At one of my spots I had 3 bucks coming pretty regular all summer but nothing I wanted to shoot. There was one particular 8 point that was 4.5 year old but was only packing about 130 inches of horn so I decided to test it in that stand. I waited for a bad wind to sit Done my daily routine of scent elimination then hung my clothes in a ground blind and smoked them 30 minutes and myself for as long as I could hold my breath. Went to the stand, like clockwork the bucks appeared but as soon as they crossed my wind they stuck there nose in the air, stomped for bout 10 minutes then flagged and then it was blowjob city ! I know for sure they didn't see me because they never looked in my direction, they were just lookin all around trying to find me once they caught my wind. I just feel like the deer where I hunt are not used to a lot of smoke especially early season. There is houses near by though. I'm gonna give it another try in the fall but I will prob stick with my ritual, it's paid off for me. Anybody one here use the smoker in Ky a lot ?

I used to hunt KY a lot. A buddy I worked with was the first person crazy enough to try it aside from me. We would get off work, drive to Grayson, smoke up and go kill deer. One year, I killed 4 before our season in Ohio even came in! So yes, it works in KY, in fact, it was the proving grounds of sorts... I knew it worked, but hunting in KY heat and humidity is what sold my buddies on it. We would go to the stands in shorts and tee shirts, smoked up, cover up with camo bug suits and kill deer. The first year, in fact, I'd have the back of my truck loaded with wood as I hadn't figured out a common bee smoker was the answer to reduce the effort required. We'd have the entire Sandy Hook valley full of smoke.... :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used to hunt KY a lot. A buddy I worked with was the first person crazy enough to try it aside from me. We would get off work, drive to Grayson, smoke up and go kill deer. One year, I killed 4 before our season in Ohio even came in! So yes, it works in KY, in fact, it was the proving grounds of sorts... I knew it worked, but hunting in KY heat and humidity is what sold my buddies on it. We would go to the stands in shorts and tee shirts, smoked up, cover up with camo bug suits and kill deer. The first year, in fact, I'd have the back of my truck loaded with wood as I hadn't figured out a common bee smoker was the answer to reduce the effort required. We'd have the entire Sandy Hook valley full of smoke.... :)

Lmao, a Brock! Throw another chunk of wood on her, still gotta smoke ma skivvies!lol

mich

I know alot of ya'll love using the smokers and use it as a tool when ya hunt .
I can't stand smelling like campfire smokeon my body and clothing , although I love the smell of woodsmoke in the fall air so I've never used it .
I routinely have deer downwind of me , at the base of my tree , and where I walked with no ill effects so I will keep doin what I'm doin. . It all comes down to doin what works for you and if its working why change .

i agree....i dont like the smell of smoke, earth scent has worked good for me the 2 weeks i'm in ohio.....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well I will say this I smoked up very heavy tonight and went to the stand straight from the smoker to the stand no road trip just a walk through the yard. I had not hunted this stand or any stand with in a mile of this one so these deer have not been hunted by me with a smoker or anybody else with one for that matter. I watch a doe with twins come out of a corn field a half mile away get to my down wind side feeding and pick their head up and run bak into the corn. This was at 4. At 5 a small buck came out of the corn feeding and sure enough he got to the same place and stop looked my way and he hit the corn as hard as he could. At 630 another doe with one fawn come out of the corn field fed south till they got to the same spot the other four spooked at and the did the same thing. Now I no these deer were a half mile from me because this is a square section. And I know these deer could no way see me in my stand 20 yards inside the woods. I'm here to tell you I've never seen deer spook so easy in my life. Needless to say my clothes are getting washed as I write this I'm just hoping it comes out of my clothes. Because I do believe it can hurt you just as easy as it can help you. I'm going back to my old ways after watching what I watched tonight.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So far in my sits this yr i have had around 12 different deer downwind of me and the typical throw their head straight up in the air and smell a while, then settle down and go back to what they were doing.
Have yet to have an issue with it and the buck i shot last yr was 70 yds downwind of me as he worked his way in till i shot him at 22 yds.
I believe i will keep smoking up till it proves me wrong.
Besides i love the smell of the smoke.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So far in my sits this yr i have had around 12 different deer downwind of me and the typical throw their head straight up in the air and smell a while, then settle down and go back to what they were doing.
Have yet to have an issue with it and the buck i shot last yr was 70 yds downwind of me as he worked his way in till i shot him at 22 yds.
I believe i will keep smoking up till it proves me wrong.
Besides i love the smell of the smoke.

I've had nothing but good luck smoking my clothes and gear up.... I've shot numerous deer down wind from me that had no idea I was there....

I don't understand why it works for most but not for some??? Not saying you're not doing it right, just trying to wrap my mind around how it's not working for some....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The doe my buddy killed this evening got a whiff of smoke when the wind shifted. She stuck her head up, licked her lips, then went back to browsing.