Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smoking doesn't work??

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I keep hearing this from folks and they think I am crazy but let me tell you, it freaking works!

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

at1010

*Supporting Member*
you can see in the pictures. Bottom picture is a smoking locker I built and used right before the hunt.

second picture is the first hunt of the year. wind shifted and does were downwind. One doe had picked me off cause they came from a odd angle. I sat still, and watched her, they all filed into plot after a few minutes.

I passed on them but wow what a sit. OOO did I mention the wind was blowing into their nose? They ate in plot for awhile, and worked their way down the ridge to eat acorns.

Had to share!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just a gimmick the Indians came up with...

HAHA aint that the truth! I do think that fresh smoke is key to success. I don't think just having your clothes smell like smoke works as well as applying fresh smoke right before heading to the stand. IMO

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We all know it works and everyone I tell just looks at me strange and never try it. Their lose not ours.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We all know it works and everyone I tell just looks at me strange and never try it. Their lose not ours.

The kid that cuts my hair here in town, he's an avid bow hunter and he's fanatical about his scent control.... Has all the gimmick stuff.... I walked in last month and he said we were just talking about you a little while and your smoke routine..... They're non believers..... He just spent 300.00 on that ozonics (sp?) contraption.... I told him he just spent more on that then I would have in a lifetime of the scent smoker.....

They'll spend tons of cash on a gimmick, but you can smoke yourself up for basically FREE!!!!! Boggles my mind sometimes.....

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I've seen a lot of reactions from deer... I'm still not completely sold on it, but I still do it regularly once fireplace season kicks in. Going on test year #3.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just a gimmick the Indians came up with...

I did a search, years ago, regarding Indians and smoking up... Only found one little piece written about a tribe in Oregon that may have used smoke as part of their pre-hunt ritual. When I was selling 'em, I heard "Oh yeah, that's what the Indians did". Funny, seemed every one thought that was an indian thing to do, but no one could show me where they had read it or heard it. Ha! I wasn't about to tell anyone any different, since a lot of folks seem to think the Indians were the only ones able of killing deer. :) Another favorite; "Deer smell smoke and know man is in the woods"... yeah, Mom read BAMBI to me too, I just didn't learn my hunting tactics from it. :)

Oh BTW, I think it works too...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think Indians were just always around smoke. They had fires burning constantly.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I pretty much keep it to myself. I use it every time I hunt and have confidence in it. Haven't bought any scent spray or anything else in 2 years and I've seen more deer since I started using it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I still have a bottle of scent killer spray on hand but mainly for brand new gear and things that are difficult to wash (harness for one). But after spraying that stuff down it all gets smoked.

lung buster

hocking county
It took me longer than most around here but I will never head to the woods without it! It really has my praise when hunting with my kids. There is no way they would have had their success hunting without it! They may have got "lucky" a time or 2 but hunting on the ground in these hills with swirling winds would lead to failure the majority of time!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I smoke my clothes before a hunt on a clothes rack and then place them in a tote. The tote has a hole in the bottom of it and let the smoker roll tons of smoke in to the tote. A lot of times when I get to my hunting area smoke rolls out of the tote when I open it.
uploadfromtaptalk1443571160616.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443571289927.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scent Smoker believer here. I bought another one as a spare. Leaving it in the box until I absolutely need it.