Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Keeping Deer Cool in Warm Weather

Jason Short

Wayne County
If you guys shoot a deer in warm weather like we are having what do you do to keep it cool? If I shoot a deer it will be in the evening and I won't be able to take it to the processor until the next day so I want to make sure I keep it from spoiling. I have no idea how long it takes a deer to spoil in these temps. Would it be ok to stuff the cavity with bags of ice and hang it up in the garage overnight?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They spoil pretty quick in this heat. Stuff bags of ice in the cavity and wrap it with a tarp. If you can lay it down and lay a bag on the front and hind quarter that helps too.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I put the meat in unscented black trash bags. Backstraps also

I'll be in Ohio the end of October to hunt for a week. How long do you think I could leave the meat on ice like that? If I get one I'd prefer to bring it home to my local processor and have him cut it up.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I had read it was a good way to age meat but in the article it didn't mention bagging the meat. I was picturing the meat soaking in bloody water and that didn't sound good to me. If I knock one down I'll definitely try this. Thanks for the advice.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just take all the shelves out of the refrigerator, hang the carcass in there, the wife won't mind.

I usually stuff with ice, wrap in a tarp and leave it hang overnight. Skin and quarter and into cooler first thing in the morning before the flies and bees get to it.

As far as direct contact with ice, I usually don't leave them it here long enough to worry about it, if it a concern, wrap it in freezer paper, and keep the water drained and ice fresh.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I shot one in the evening last year about this time and also wanted to take it to the processor in the morning. I put whole small bags of ice in the chest cavity, bags and all, and wrapped it in a tarp. When I got it there in the morning they hung it in the cooler and the meat turned out fine. I think I'm doing my own this year and would really like to just wait for cooler weather. If I see a big buck and it's warm out I'll shoot him and deal with it though.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll be in Ohio the end of October to hunt for a week. How long do you think I could leave the meat on ice like that? If I get one I'd prefer to bring it home to my local processor and have him cut it up.

I keep my last elk in a cooler on ice for almost 7 days and no harm done. Each meat cut was in clean garbage bag.
When out in the field on a trip I've keep deer in the shade, unskinned, covered up with ice bags in the cavity, wrapped in a sleeping bag for 3-4 days in 90 degree weather and it was fine.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I keep my last elk in a cooler on ice for almost 7 days and no harm done. Each meat cut was in clean garbage bag.
When out in the field on a trip I've keep deer in the shade, unskinned, covered up with ice bags in the cavity, wrapped in a sleeping bag for 3-4 days in 90 degree weather and it was fine.
Thanks. That's good info.

brancher147

I found a pretty slick way to quickly process a deer on warm days, or any days. This is what I do now almost all the time. I cut up and debone the entire deer on the ground, place the meat in as many 2 gallon freezer bags as needed and throw it in the cooler. No mess, no hanging a deer, freezer bags keep blood from getting all over the cooler. I usually do this at the kill site and backpack the meat out. So much easier than dragging, loading in truck, unloading, hanging, skinning, then debone. Sounds like a pain but after doing it a few times you will never look back. If you want a shoulder mount, just keep hide attached down to shoulders, cape out neck, cut around neck and twist head off.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Actually I think wrapping the deer in a tarp is a bad idea. Even with the ice in the cavity the tarp will retain heat around the carcass. That heat has to escape.

I skin the deer ASAP and quarter it. Then I put the quarters in cooler(s), but not directly on the ice... Water in the meat is not a good thing... That will lead to bacteria. I line the bottom of cooler with ice, usually in the form of gallon jugs frozen solid. Then I lay a layer of cardboard over the ice, with holes cut in it. So meat is in the cooler, but up off the ice so that air can circulate around the meat. Just my two cents.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I invested in the higher end coleman coolers (extreme line) a couple of years ago. Some research online showed them to better than most coolers unless you are spending serous money on a Yeti, pelican or the like.

I have held a quartered a deer in them for a few days in this type of heat with just ice and draining the water each day.

A couple of years ago when Joe and Travis both connected using muzzleloaders at Strouds I think her had the pickup truck sized one and aged those two deer for a week. I know it was unseasonably warm and I kept mine for a fee days with no problems.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I invested in the higher end coleman coolers (extreme line) a couple of years ago. Some research online showed them to better than most coolers unless you are spending serous money on a Yeti, pelican or the like.

I have held a quartered a deer in them for a few days in this type of heat with just ice and draining the water each day.

A couple of years ago when Joe and Travis both connected using muzzleloaders at Strouds I think her had the pickup truck sized one and aged those two deer for a week. I know it was unseasonably warm and I kept mine for a fee days with no problems.

Yep that's what I do. Quarter and reduce to the cooler. I leave the ice in the bags and set the meat on top of it. I'll prop the Non drain end of the cooler on a brick and pull the drain twice a day to drain off any water that may be in the cooler. I've left deer in a cooler for a week like this and never had a problem. The best part is I'm not in a rush to butcher the quarters. I can come home from work and start on a quarter or two and do the rest the next day or so. Really takes the rush out of it.