Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck shot, no blood

Skeeter81

So buddy shot a buck this evening g and there's no blood. He says it was quartered away from him and he put it through behind the shoulder towards the chest wall. Says he saw it hit and the buck Stoddard up on his front legs like a ballerina. Anyone had this happen or have suugestions? He didn't get out of his stand for 45 minutes and I thanked him for not shooting the buck I'm after but we'd like to retrieve this and he's not.the guy that'll bullshit you. He looked.for a good 2 hours while I was working and we decided to go in the morning.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would say if he hit the buck there is blood and just hasn't found it yet. The 1st blood may be 100 yds away if shot high in the lung area. I've shot 2 bucks in the high lung area with a 44 mag and 45-70 and found no blood until over 50 yds away.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The hole may be plugged by some organs and not spilling any blood. Hopefully he didn't spook the buck off by wondering around if its still alive.

Hogmister13

Same thing Happened to my Buddy Last weekend he shot a Giant. We have searched for 5 days. Quarter away shot, and he hit back a little but was exiting toward heart. Barely any blood at all and we lost the blood after 100 Yards. Now we are to the point where we are watching for buzzards everyday. I never was a fan of a quarter away shot. Hope You find him.. Good Luck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did he find the arrow?

Plenty of things we can speculate. If hit far back on quartering away, he should have gotten liver which is fatal. If he hit high, like MK111 said, they don't always bleed right away. That chest cavity needs to fill with blood before it begins to pour out. If he hit too far back he might have hit the rear quarters. Not usually lethal, but you can hit the femoral artery and they will die IF a person gets lucky. Too far forward and he could have glanced off ribs and exited forward under armpit. Too low and a grazed brisket/belly is not going to be fatal.

Have him run it through his head in slow motion and replay the exact events. Focus on the exit route the deer took. Been guilty myself in the past of not paying attention to the exact path the deer exited after the shot.

Find that arrow before you go traipsing thru the woods too much. If no arrow, follow that path like a bloodhound until you find a drop. Good luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Did he find the arrow?

Plenty of things we can speculate. If hit far back on quartering away, he should have gotten liver which is fatal. If he hit high, like MK111 said, they don't always bleed right away. That chest cavity needs to fill with blood before it begins to pour out. If he hit too far back he might have hit the rear quarters. Not usually lethal, but you can hit the femoral artery and they will die IF a person gets lucky. Too far forward and he could have glanced off ribs and exited forward under armpit. Too low and a grazed brisket/belly is not going to be fatal.

This. Depending on what broadhead and where the impact was, lots of things could have happened. Find the arrow and it'll help. Good luck!

Skeeter81

Thanks guys. No arrow but we're headed out in about 30 minutes to go look. Muzzy was the broadhead used. I'm sure the rain is gonna help us find him today. :smiley_confused_vra

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck finding him. I don't have much to add other than take your time and search slowly often taking time to stand up, let your eyes readjust from looking at the ground for blood or sign and look around carefully.

Great advice Chuck. Seems so many guys go way ahead and turn over leaves with their feet that have blood on them. Makes it tougher. Comb that exit route as thoroughly as you can. Whitetail Specialties helped me last year. We didn't have great blood but we had some blood. We played leap frog from one blood drop to the next. Last drop found have someone stand at it until you find the next drop. If you lose it completely, make sure to mark the last blood found. My advice is optimistic advice. . . I am hoping you find blood! Good luck.

Another thing if you find blood in a straight line and then it disappears, do a circle around the last blood for 20-30yds around the last spot. Sometimes the last few steps they make aren't exactly in a straight line. They start dropping, bobbing, weaving, and looking for better cover just before they drop.

Skeeter81

Found him.

Attachments

• 20150928_100153.jpg
    20150928_100153.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 381

Skeeter81

Pretty crazy. So the wound went through liver, one lung, and stuck in his neck. The broadhead broke off. Deer didn't go 100 yards and no blood either because how he laid down.

Skeeter81

No. I was going to take one of the inside but we were worried about the broadhead. It's nothing special, just a. 3x2. This area is littered with them so wondering where the daddy is that's making all these messed up antlers