Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I know something. And it's a big something.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I heard he scored it but my gross was 10" higher! I had him at 169" gross.

Right side 64
Left side 87
IS 18"
Total 169"

Those abs splitting off tines are often mis judged or taped too. Regardless a heck of a nice deer!

When I get him back from the Taxi later this year I'll see if doug can run a tape on him better than what I did. I ran through it fast.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*

Still had a touch of velvet. The late summer coat was freaking awesome too.

First off, I'll mimic what I said last year. Thanks for all the knowledge. Lots to be learned on here. I almost elected to climb down out of the stand by 4 after the easterly wind was blowing right to the main trails but after seeing a scrub and 3 does pass downwind not catching on I decided to gamble. All my gear was smoked up and sprayed. I had my eye on this buck since August 4th. Pretty much corrupted my mind since then. Around 7 I had a scrub roll in at 30 yards but he was full alert, acting skittish and watching all directions. I knew why. Around 715ish he focused his attention to my left uphill, sha blam, down the hill comes this guy walking broadside 20 yards away. He got behind some trees with my bow already in hand. I went full draw, and he stopped right behind an 8 inch diameter tree blocking his vitals. I continued holding, finally he took one last step, dialed in, soon as i made the decision to release he turned to me and what would have been a good shot ending up in his neck near the top crease of his shoulder blades. He took off but didnt look like your average Olympian whitetail deer busting ass through the woods so I knew I hurt him. I saw nearly 8 to 10 inches of arrow buried and lost sight of him around 120 yards out. I went back to the landowners house to regain my thoughts but i ended up cussing myself out. I talked over the shot placement with joe and believed I may have hit the artery along the spine and maybe punctured a lung. We made the decision to look around 11 PM that evening. When we first started we found absolutely nothing until I lead them to where I last marked him, specs of blood. We fanned out and I told Travis, Joes nephew to check to my left. He found a bigger splotch, then blood tracking king Joe took the lead while I had my bow in hand. Specs turned into single splotches that turned into pools every 3 feet. We took our time while Joe always made sure to scan ahead but we were in it thick, literally. I was blown away how a deer of that size could make it through some of that crap. We may have went 75 to 100 yards in the thick crap and Joe took my bow and handed it to Travis, and I was wondering WTF they were doing. Joe told me to take the lead, soon as I side stepped him there he laid! Holy crap! Handshakes and thanks all around. I ended up hitting an artery along the spine. Lucky as hell! We ended up dragging the deer out in circles for the first 30 minutes and we concluded we were lost. We found him around 11:30 and he finally made it to my truck on a field edge at 1:30 lol. Joe and Travis I owe you guys! That was brutal.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Awesome story and great buck! Kudos to Joe and Travis. I know what it's like to track alone.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I get by with a little help from my friends..... Should be the theme of this buck.... Congrats again on a hell of a buck..... Travis is going too be a a Joe Jr.... Hell of a young man..... Joe, you're a hell of a mentor too the youngin....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I get by with a little help from my friends..... Should be the theme of this buck.... Congrats again on a hell of a buck..... Travis is going too be a a Joe Jr.... Hell of a young man..... Joe, you're a hell of a mentor too the youngin....

Friggin A J!!!!

Congrats again Alex on put your target buck down on the first sit! Great read BTW!!!