Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Barometric pressure

buckcrazy1

Hey does anyone pay attention or know a lot about barometric pressure? The only person I ever hear talk much about it is Mark drury, but I don't think I fully understand it. Higher BP is better, right? And what causes the BP to be higher or lower? Any insight would be much appreciated!:)

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Funny... I was just reading an article about this the other day. Hi pressure or low pressure don't matter. What gets deer active is when the pressure is moving. When a cold front comes in, the barometer drops, when the pressure is moving the deer want to feed. Activity slows once the front has settled in because the barometer has stopped moving. As the front passes the pressure starts moving up again and that triggers more movement until the pressure becomes steady again. Supposedly, the "ideal range" for the barometer is 28.8 to 30.3.

With that being said... if you have the chance to hunt, go for it, but according to what I read you might see more movement if you are sitting as the leading edge of a front comes through.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think it affects movement. How it correlates? Not real sure. I am with the two above: Hunt when I can. Hunt smart when I am out there. Cross my fingers.

themedic

OHIO
I dont know much about berometric pressure but i remember Mark saying it is relative to the time of year also. Later in winter a high pressure is more like 32-33.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I only consider it when I go fishing as higher seems to produce more hits.
As for hunting; I would go regardless.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
This is what I've notice big pressure drop occur with cold front mostly. This goes hand in hand with deer movement. A big drop in pressure gets critters moving. When pressure is steady or on the rise movement slows. Cjd3 is spot on with the fishing also. A rise in pressure or steady pressure gets fish biting. But in the end if I can comeget in the tree or on the water I do if the pressure is in my favor all the better.

A friend of mine lives by the barometric pressure when it's in the range of 30.20 to 30.30 as time to make sure your butt is in a stand. Only reason I remember those numbers is because I put them in the notes on my phone LOL. I'm one that hunts every opportunity I can but those numbers are great for those days when you are a little burned out from treestand seat rash and on the fence if you should go that day or tend to the honey-do's.