Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordo's 2015 Season Log

Gordo

Athens County
Well, getting geared up.

Set cams at 3 spots in hopes of getting my pops on one. He's said he's going to up the bar this year. Fine with me! I really want him to have his buck tag left come prime time so he can hit it hard with me during the rut, but if a giant walks by early season that tickles his fancy, we'll take it.

Im going to take a couple dry runs around the yard today with the mobile set up. Gotta make sure i got all the detail shit squared away to ensure one trip up and one trip down.

Gotta love the preparation

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome to hear man! Hope you get your dad on a good one like you did 3 or so years ago! Good luck this season! You using trad or cams this year?

Good luck to you both this season!

Gordo

Athens County
Who knows. Late last night once i settled down and was talking to my wife after s couple beers and a days worth of wtf's. I picked up the recurve and vowed to hunt with it for the season. Everything happens for a reason.

Just shot some nice groups with it and it calmed me down.

The whole point of this season is to enjoy and not stress. Im not gonna let my bow vanishing ruin it. Hopefully this whole thing is a blessing in disquise.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443206058.994100.jpg

That from about 15 yards. Feeling good.

Gotta keep up the shooting, but make sure i dont shoot myself into bad habits. Three under is doing me good

Gordo

Athens County
Looks good, I prefer shooting 3 under also

Taylor just texted me some pointers emphasizing to keep drawing back, finding anchor/aiming, and then let the draw down. Makes sense.

To shoot a nice pattern, i feel like im only drawing 3/4 of the way back. Upon release, if my hand gives my cheek a little slap, the arrow damn near hits its spot everytime.

Im going to have the wife take some video and see how i look. I may be at full draw and it just doesnt feel like it. When i try to draw furthur back, theres a little more pop, but accuraccy isnt there.

Going to keep doing what tay suggested to really find my anchor/aim before worrying about a smooth release.

Right now to be accuratte, its almost like i have a snap release. Im still pulling back through my anchor after release.

Not sure if that makes sense. Dont want to over think it

I will say just walking around the yard and picking spots at 30-40 yards and letting one fly has been encouraging. The arrows are really flying true. No wobbling or fluttering, etc.. Its a thing of beauty, well, until the fuggar bottoms out.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You want to draw back as far as you can and i anchor my middle finger in the corner of my mouth shooting 3 under and just cant my bow a little with what feels right to me.
I do my best shooting just picking out leaves and stuff over target shooting anyday.
Also when i started out last yr i just shot at 10 and 15 yds for quite awhile till i got accurate then started moving back.
I also just shot at straw bales alot working on my release.
The main thing for me is making sure i have a consistant anchor each time.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
But thats just me Gordo,their are alot more guys on here that have been doing it yrs longer than me.
Hell i got some great tips from some of them.
Throw some tennis balls out there and get some judo points now that is fun and great practice.

Gordo

Athens County
But thats just me Gordo,their are alot more guys on here that have been doing it yrs longer than me.
Hell i got some great tips from some of them.
Throw some tennis balls out there and get some judo points now that is fun and great practice.

When i punched my buck tag early a couple years back i went trad the rest of the year. Had a couple clean misses. I couldnt agree more with shooting at leafs/tennis balls or whatever from diff spots. Keeps it real.

Like you said, its all about consistency with anchor. The less moving parts the better. I find myself to be alot more accurate staying loose with my stance. I just CAN not develop bad habits by over shooting. I'm really fuckin excited.

Last year you kicked ass bro. Hope i can have some of that success