Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vortex Talon HD Binos

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Started glassing a lot more this year than I have in the last 20 years which really showed the lacking of a good set of binos on my part.. My buddy lent me his set of red head 10x42's which are 100x better than an old set of Simmons I got for Xmas from the kids a long time ago lol....

Received a cabelas add this morning and it had a set of the vortex talons 8x32 for what seems like a good price and was just wondering if any of you have any experience with them???

I've been glassing out to 400 yards on a farm I am getting reacquainted with and it brought out the need.... Are these going too be strong enough???

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443025486.866361.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You'll need at least a 10x. I have the crossfire 10x42's and I'm glassing out to about 400. I kinda wish I either had a spotting scope or 12x binos for that. They still get the job done though. Those would be some good huntin binos though, that's a hell of a price.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You can get by with any quality glass, but at that distance, you'll wanna put them on a tripod. It makes a world of difference! I agree with Bigslam though, 10x and up would be best. 8x is perfect for bowhunting IMO.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Check out the Nikon prostaff 7. They're 10x42. My dad bought them for the boys last Christmas and they are crisp. Good size for hunting and light. I've been using them for glassine the fields and like them better than my Bushnell.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Check out the Nikon prostaff 7. They're 10x42. My dad bought them for the boys last Christmas and they are crisp. Good size for hunting and light. I've been using them for glassine the fields and like them better than my Bushnell.

Mike, I'm partial too the Nikon brand, have had good luck with their products.... Budget says less than 300.... And I have gift cards from cabelas so these looked interesting lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Viper HDs in 10x42. Before I head out west, I'll have a pair of these for hunting out there and for scouting. And I told you wrong, I have the Crossfires. I'll still use those to hunt with.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a pair of 12x50 Diamondbacks. Several of the guys at Cotty's Club/TOO Bow Shoot looked through them. They were pretty decent in my opinion. Unfortunately, mine came up missing. Holding hope they were misplaced. Have fears one of the guys who worked for us less than a week swiped them off the floor of my truck. That said. . . My 8x42 Nikons are wonderful from the tree stand and BETTER in low light. The 12x50 got me a little bigger visual of the deer, but not enough extra details to justify the second pair of binos. If I have to replace them, I will probably go the spotting scope route. With the 8x42 I got enough details on a deer 500-600yds away to know if it was a shooter or not. Same as the 12x50. The 12x50 didn't pick up that much more detail at this distance.