Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Possibly a state record Typical?

buckcrazy1

uploadfromtaptalk1442923143317.jpgHey everybody, my name is Travis and I'm brand new here! So I grew up around Dayton Ohio but thanks to work I had to pick up and move about an hour east to Lancaster this past December. Obviously I don't know anyone around here and don't have permission to hunt any private land, unfortunately, so I had to resort to huntin public, fortunately I only live about 20 minutes from Wayne National! I began scouting it in Feb by shed hunting and I found 18 sheds which is about half as many as I usually find back home, but I was able to find a couple honey holes that were pretty secluded! I put it to the test this spring when I two Tom's with my bow and finally called in a Tom for my dad to successfully gun down, after 8 years of TRYING to get him a bird! Since early July I've been running 6 trail camaras all over my two favorite spots and I have pics of 16 different bucks so far. Twelve 1.5-2.5 year olds, 3 shooters between 140 to 160, but yesterday I pulled a few SD cards and much to my surprise I had a pic of an absolute GIANT! I got 1 pic of him on 2 tcams overlooking the same field. Hes a main frame 6x6 with a split brow on one side, about a 4 inch kicker on the other, and a kicker off of a g2. As far as I know, brad jerman still has the state record for a typical at 201 1/8, he's from Dayton and I've talked to him at his church a few times cuz my ex went there and his buck is huge, no doubt, but I really think this buck might have a shot at edging his out..or maybe I'm just overreacting because I've worked so hard to find a big deer on Public so I want it to be that big? Lol I'm going to try to figure out how to upload the pics and please let me know what you all think, and happy hunting Saturday

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
First, welcome to the site, and congrats on finding a spectacular deer on public land. I hope it works out for you.
I am by no means a great scorer, but I don't see 200" in that deer. Based on what I see, with the split and the stickers included, I think you are looking at the mid 180's. Definitely one hell of a deer! Best of luck in harvesting him this year!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the forum to start with. Sounds like you have some great bucks to chase. Good luck out there!

Now to burst your bubble. That deer wouldn't carry The Jerman Buck's lunch. For starters, just the deductions on the buck you posted will kill his net score. Secondly, I only see a gross 170s deer. It is a great buck for sure, but no where near a state record.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Welcome to TOO. I'm also not the best to score deer but there is no way that deer is 200" and I would put him net in the 170's as well. Still a heck of a buck. If he is like any other big buck on the Wayne or big tract of public land he won't stay there long or at least not during daylight hours. Good luck with him and I hope you get a crack at him very early.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome but be careful letting the good news out about public land deer on the net. Good luck in you quest of hunting him.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell of a buck. Get on him early and try to get it done. No telling who else knows he's there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the forum.... That's a trophy in almost anyone's world.... Well except for JD that is lol...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome too the forum.... That's a trophy in almost anyone's world.... Well except for JD that is lol...

Jd would shoot that deer. He'd lead you on like he wouldn't but I'd bet bottom dollar he would.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I would let him walk right by....

After I shot every possible projectile I had at him and missed because I had buck fever so bad, lol.

Good luck

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO!!! Sounds like you're ate up with it like most everyone here!!! Also sounds like you've put loads of time into scouting and finding some great hunting spots and deer! Good luck chasing them this year!!!

To answer your question about the deer above, without a doubt he's not the state record but he is a giant by most of our standards! IMO, by the less than perfect pic to go by as I can't tell much about his brows or distinguish what is ears or stickers he's at best 182 gross but maybe more than likely closer to mid 170's gross though. He's got awesome mass!

Hope you get a crack at him! Good luck

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Welcome to TOO and good luck this year and kill that stud so we will know how big he truly is.

dcp02577.JPG

I see your deer as a close score to this one.
168 and some change gross and nets 144 4/8".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO and good luck this year and kill that stud so we will know how big he truly is.

View attachment 36108

I see your deer as a close score to this one.
168 and some change gross and nets 144 4/8".

That's a damn nice buck Aaron! Who killed that one?

IMO, you'd have to add 20 more inches to it to be even with this deer though! The over all frame,mass and several extra typical tines and even greater spread adds up fast!