Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions wanted about atv purchase!

Bigcountry40

I don't know if this is proper place to start this topic but what the hell, its probably the most viewed section of TOO. I thinking of buys a polaris 450 sportsman brand new after rebate for $,5,200 before sales tax etc. I have experience with atv's but have never actually owned one myself I read several reviews about the 450 and they had good things to say about the bike . Anybody have any bad experiences with this bike or have friends with bad experiences? I know there are better bikes for more money but I have a limited budget and would like to just buy new and finance a new bike (I have really good credit). So any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I have a lot of friends who have newer Polaris atv's. The warrenty sux. And they have had there fair share of problems. Personally I'd buy another brand. jmo

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Why not buy a Honda Rancher? They are bulletproof and IMO, the best quad on the market. If you shop around, I'm sure you can find a '14 or '15 Rancher 4×4 for the same price. We have a 2001, 2007 and 2010 in the family. Couldn't ask for a better investment.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know much about the 450, but I always hear mixed reviews from Polaris owners. I think if it's a quad you are just going to use to putt around some trails and for hunting, you'll probably be fine. If it's one you plan on riding hard, not sure.

Jesse is right about the Rancher. I've never heard a bad thing about them. Not sure of the price on them nowadays though. You may also want to check out a Yamaha Grizzly. I think they run around that price for the 450 or 500 (can't remember which engine is a around that size). I had the old Yamaha Big Bear 400 and it was a tank. It is very similar to the Grizzly.

themedic

OHIO
Why not buy a Honda Rancher? They are bulletproof and IMO, the best quad on the market. If you shop around, I'm sure you can find a '14 or '15 Rancher 4×4 for the same price. We have a 2001, 2007 and 2010 in the family. Couldn't ask for a better investment.

I'm with Jesse. My family have owned nothing but Honda Ranchers and Foremans for the last 30 years....never had a problem.

Bigcountry40

I am def going to look into a honda rancher and see what kind of price/fiancing, but to follow up on what cotty said, I am looking for a quad that I can use for hunting, gets through some snow and haul a litte fire wood, I am not really looking for something to ride hard or go swamping. I would love to find a grizzly, rancher or big bear for a price within my budget. But I really appreciate the feedback and can use some more of it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Haa Haa Haa... Bonecrusher... (sorry Ric)

Its a tuff call. The machines are like said above. Putt around the yard and most anything will do. Start using it like a like they are invincible, and either you or the machine will break.
If you have a multi brand dealer or an "outlaw" dealer/repair shop, look in the back at what's being repaired. Usually, you will note one brand seems to dominate the repair shop floor space.

Good luck in your decision!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LMAO GUYS!!!!! I have the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and the fuggar is a 880lb machine that in fact will crush bones if you flip it over on ya!!! Lol I am very lucky!!!!

Love my ride though! I bit top heavy if riding steep terrain but for riding and hauling and work horsing it's a beast! Smooth ride with ass for pulling shit!

My neighbor has a Honda and he loves his too. I like the attachments that you can get for his and how easy it is to add them,(plow,blade,etc...).

Good luck with your purchase!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think you would have been better off with a roll cage buddy. :pickle:

Don't know bout that Dustin, I have no seat belt! Come to think of it air bag prolly wouldn't do that much fer me either if I ain't strapped in. Maybe I shoulda wore bubble wrap and shoulder pads next time! Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't know bout that Dustin, I have no seat belt! Come to think of it air bag prolly wouldn't do that much fer me either if I ain't strapped in. Maybe I shoulda wore bubble wrap and shoulder pads next time! Lol

Or just sit by the campfire and drink beer.... Way cheaper and easier on the body.... Lol