Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clyde, Ohio and Cancer ?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I just happened across this little article and found it rather sad and thought I would share it with you all.

CLYDE, Ohio — Every time his kids cough, Dave Hisey's mind starts to race. Is it cancer? Is it coming back?

His oldest daughter, diagnosed with leukemia nearly five years ago when she was 13, is in remission. His 12-year-old son has another year of chemotherapy for a different type of leukemia. And his 9-year-old daughter is scared she'll be next.

Hisey is not alone in fearing the worst. Just about every mom and dad in this rural northern Ohio town gets nervous whenever their children get a sinus infection or a stomachache lingers. It's hard not to panic since mysterious cancers have sickened dozens of area children in recent years.

Since 1996, 35 children have been diagnosed — and three have died — of brain tumors, leukemia, lymphoma, and other forms of cancer — all within a 12-mile wide circle that includes two small towns and farmland just south of Lake Erie. With many of the diagnoses coming between 2002 and 2006, state health authorities declared it a cancer cluster, saying the number and type of diagnoses exceed what would be expected statistically for so small a population over that time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40855275/ns/health-cancer/?gt1=43001

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A long time ago I read that Galion, Ohio had more cases of MS per capita then any other place in the country. The article went on to say they didn't know if there was a "reason or cause" or if it was just a statistical anomaly.

Typically, cancer outbreaks are common in cities that have refineries or other such poluting facilities.

Here in Lima, the refinery is a source of many polutants, illnesses and deaths. It's also where the jobs are and commuting to and from this area seems to be the common "cure", rather than living here. Even the groundwater sources are effected by these facilities.

rrr

"A Civil Action" - Johnathan Harr, great book about the cancer cluster in Washburn, MA.

Sad but true..

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sometimes it's is just the luck of the draw, sometimes it's because the deck is stacked. It is human nature to think that things like cancer are avoidable, there must be something in the air or in the water and that if we do something differently the problem will go away. Don't get me wrong there are times when environmental factors are to blame but a cluster by itself isn't proof.

My father-in -law is going through chemo right now for colon cancer, he knows several other retirees from his company (a small galvanizing/coatings plant) that also have some type of cancer. However they all have different types of cancer, he is the only one with colon cancer. It's easy to blame at his job as the source but who really knows.

Ernie, was that book made into a movie with John Travolta? Saw the movie, haven't read the book.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
A long time ago I read that Galion, Ohio had more cases of MS per capita then any other place in the country. The article went on to say they didn't know if there was a "reason or cause" or if it was just a statistical anomaly.

That's very true Sam. It was before my time but it was documented and unfortunately true.

rrr

OhioSam - yes...and the movie kinda sucked, you should pick up the book. It's a good one.

rrr

River Valley High School is another example. They found all kinds of toxic chemicals. They moved the schools and cleaned up the site around it. A friend of the family purchased the old school and turned it into storage.

Yea, way to build a huge school you can't heat. HUGE locker rooms though lol

If I remember correctly

Old timers told the EPA that the site a park in Clyd is now on
Was at one time a open feild that the water/sewer Dep dumped sewage slug on for years

Lots of heavy metals

EPA and the city claimed to have no records from that time

John

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
This one strikes home hard......My high school (Perkins Twnship) is in the same conference and I have family and friends all in the area of North Central Ohio. I worked for 2 years in Fremont and this is a mind blower. This is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to North Central Ohio when you look at the different possibilites in the area for the cause.

My wife and I moved about 30-40mins east (Collins, OH) and they just recently had a company come in and try to start a toxic deep injection well site to the area. It seems like it's never ending, and if we never find the cause for these issues then we may never be able to help those affected. It seems like no matter where you live these days mankind has a way to mess things up.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Clyde is my hometown... graduated from CHS in 2002. It's pretty sad. The EPA says there is no known link to the cancer outbreaks, but I think it's bullshit. Just a couple miles north of Clyde is a chemical waste management facility that utilizes injection wells. When I was a kid, I received a check once a year because of some kind of a settlement... the closer you lived to the facility, the more money you got. It all seems pretty coincidental to me. :smiley_depressive:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Clyde is my hometown... graduated from CHS in 2002. It's pretty sad. The EPA says there is no known link to the cancer outbreaks, but I think it's bullshit. Just a couple miles north of Clyde is a chemical waste management facility that utilizes injection wells. When I was a kid, I received a check once a year because of some kind of a settlement... the closer you lived to the facility, the more money you got. It all seems pretty coincidental to me. :smiley_depressive:

Yep, we have relatives on 510. I drove by that site twice a day when we lived in Castalia. Nothing like being evacuated from your home b/c of the orange cloud over it.....And I hate to say it, but I think Whirlpool has/had something to do with it more specifically to Clyde. I hate to say that b/c of how many of our friends and family work there, but it's hard to think otherwise. Have you ever looked at the water table charts or maps? I've always been interested in knowing how the flow is and how the underground wells to from the bay to Bellevue run. Figuring out the blue hole would be an added bonus

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, we have relatives on 510. I drove by that site twice a day when we lived in Castalia. Nothing like being evacuated from your home b/c of the orange cloud over it.....And I hate to say it, but I think Whirlpool has/had something to do with it more specifically to Clyde. I hate to say that b/c of how many of our friends and family work there, but it's hard to think otherwise. Have you ever looked at the water table charts or maps? I've always been interested in knowing how the flow is and how the underground wells to from the bay to Bellevue run. Figuring out the blue hole would be an added bonus

I've never seen any actual water table data for that area... but I think you're right, there has to be some connection out to the bay. There are just too many cases in such a small area for it to just bad luck... there's got to be more to it than that IMO.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

I doubt Whirlpool had much to do with anything. They hardly have any kind of toxic chemicals or heavy metals in use. I discussed it with my Dad (retired Whirlpool engineer) and he highly doubted any connection also.

Either way things like these are hard to swallow. It makes the distrust of large of companies easy to understand.