Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Weekend / Last Minute Moves

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, got some stuff done. Not all that I wanted to though.
At one property yesterday, I checked the buddy stands and did some pruning. Then got the blind set up and brushed in at whet we call Klay's Corner. It's his favorite spot and where he shot his first bow buck. Great early season and pre rut spot.

Then, this morning, I prepped a tree for my stand behind the house. Cleared out all around it and will put the stand up soon. Just ran out of time with kids stuff going on today. Gonna have to wait for some vegetation to die off as well. It's a spot with random big trees but mostly dense undergrowth of saplings, thorns, and other vegetation. Very low visibility right now. I believe it's a prime rut spot though and. As Ric told me, a great spot for lockdown.
When some stuff dies off, i will revisit and get the lanes ready. Right now it would be an all day job. My plans was to not hunt there until late October anyway.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had full intentions of finishing on a new property this weekend. Instead we had soccer yesterday, soccer today. Wife works nights and worked Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend. Ended up with 2 extra kids spending the night last night. So last night I juggled 5 kids and managed to get the all to church this morning. Still have 5 kids here. By the time the other 2 extras leave it will be time to drive 2 hours to soccer. Aaarrrggghhh.

Glad to hear you got some stuff done Cotty!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had full intentions of finishing on a new property this weekend. Instead we had soccer yesterday, soccer today. Wife works nights and worked Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend. Ended up with 2 extra kids spending the night last night. So last night I juggled 5 kids and managed to get the all to church this morning. Still have 5 kids here. By the time the other 2 extras leave it will be time to drive 2 hours to soccer. Aaarrrggghhh.

I'm wore out reading that Philly! Hope you can squeeze some getaway time in there sometime this week! Rain kept me from mowing yesterday so I gotta do that after work this evening.

I've gotta sort thru all our hunting clothes that need washed then smoke the crap outta them and store them in our totes till we hunt sometime this week. Then all that's left is to practice shooting and buying our hunting licenses online.

It's creeping up purty fast!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's the view behind my house before you head down to the bottom where my spot is. Always fun walking down and then back up... NOT!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442162926.801742.jpg

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have yet to check any stands other than taking note, there still there as I check cameras. I need to move a few and add some doubles for levi to hunt out of.

I still need some new boots and get clothes out and washed too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wanted to do some field mowing right behind d the house of this home owner. Then planned to make sure there was a pass along tree lined edges and maybe one across field. The plan was to spot out a tree to hang a stand as I mowed. Ran out of time yesterday. Today will not allow either. Leaving in half hour for soccer game in Bryan. By the time I am back I will be lucky if I have enough light to shoot my bow.

On a positive note: I did get my permission slip signed and glassed the field last night. 3 bucks in it. Two hard antler. One in velvet. Couldn't tell size of velvet rack due to weeds and velvet to similar in color at dusk. First buck spotted was about 20" wide with 5-7" g2 g3s. Second one I tried the cell phone pic thru binocular trick. Need some practice. Not as easy as it looks without a rest or something. Guessing 110-120" on first buck. One in the pic might go 125". Probably not with minimal brow tines though.

I hate tapatalk. Can't get pic to upload

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Moved a stand today that last winter was none too kind too the trees around the location.... Lots of trees down and changed the flow pattern the deer were taking.... Moved it 150 yards southwest too a more suitable location where two trails intersect with a more useful maple that has plenty of coverage and good shooting lanes.... Have a good feeling about this one.... Rains moving in so our timing was good for this one.....

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Got all my stuff done today. Checked cameras, trimmed lanes on my ladderstands and got a new spot set up for a climber. It's a spot with apple trees at the top of the hill and the apples roll down the hill when they fall off. They pile up in one spot that looks like a huge bait pile. Got my stand set up halfway up the hill with a 20 yard shot to the apples. Best part of today is its supposed to rain hard tonight. Should wash away any scent we left. This will be a first light or last light kind of spot. Bow opener here is Tuesday and I think I'll be in this spot that morning.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yesterday I got most of my brush trimmed and drug away. Too damn sore today to finish the little I have to do yet. Tomorrow I'll go down and finish the brush work and pick the new rocks up the disk turned over. After the rain the white rocks sure do show up.

NAC1989

Clark county
Got the last stand set up today finally, couldn't finish it yesterday. All that's left now is to wash and smoke up clothes and shoot the bow.

I had to laugh when I read this Phil!! Our weekend was college softball camp all day Saturday and 5 hours at softball practice yesterday afternoon with them getting their team equipment and parent meeting at the end. Was all good though, just can't help but think of all the things I really need to do down there yet.

Cotty, looking good on the blind location!!!

Bigcountry40

I also did some adjustments and stand moving, 50 yards from the road (easy morning access), 18 foot buddy stand on a side of a hill puts me about 25 foot in the air from where i think I will see the deer cross.