Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Record breaking year

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That is one massive buck. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be posting pics of that thing anywhere on the internet until it was dead by my arrow.

angelzd28

That is one massive buck. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be posting pics of that thing anywhere on the internet until it was dead by my arrow.

In todays social media frenzy, your friends aren't really your friends most of the time, merely acquaintances for the most part. It only takes one person to see a pic of that buck and know where you hunt to go in and try to kill it out from under you.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
In todays social media frenzy, your friends aren't really your friends most of the time, merely acquaintances for the most part. It only takes one person to see a pic of that buck and know where you hunt to go in and try to kill it out from under you.
Exactly. Someone would pay a lot of money for a chance to kill that buck.

brancher147

I think the wet weather this spring and early summer is one of many factors that set us up for a good yr .

I agree. Plus many areas had good mast last year and the bucks came out of the winter in excellent shape, that makes a big difference. Should be an excellent year for catching up with a big buck. I can't wait until I can get out there!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
Mild winter???? Where the hell are you from? Hahaha it was Fucking miserable up here last winter. Froze around Nov 10 and didn't thaw out Until march..... we had mountains of snow...... it was one of the top 5 worst winters I can remember. Haha u guys must not get the winters down there that we do here

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Mild winter???? Where the hell are you from? Hahaha it was Fucking miserable up here last winter. Froze around Nov 10 and didn't thaw out Until march..... we had mountains of snow...... it was one of the top 5 worst winters I can remember. Haha u guys must not get the winters down there that we do here
Ya it was pretty wicked!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
More days below freezing last winter than the winter before by a long shot. Up north it was anyway. Wet spring certainly has been shown to contribute to larger antlers from what I have read.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No doubt it should be a good year but IMO 4 years from now should be really good too. The wet weather we had all through June should have really helped the fawns from a nutritional standpoint. Buck fawns getting a boost in pedicle growth should in theory equate to higher potential for big antlers when they reach maturity.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We had an extremely mild winter down here. We had a bitter cold spell in November, it warmed up and didn't get cold again until February. We had a ton of rain, some snow in January, but not nearly enough and no where near cold enough to make late season corn pile hunting what it should have been. I know, because I was busy praying for bitter cold right up until the last day of season! It never happened down this way. February was nasty, however.

I think you guys are right about antlers this season. They will be big!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Lol, we had it pretty rough here in the SW but like Jesse stated, it was worse the year before.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I also think..... IMO. That with the doe population being down. That more mature bucks are being able to breed them. This is also playing in the mix for larger horn bucks as well. Better genetic being reproduced. Just my 2 cents.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Been a odd yr to me . Lots off big deer dieing early. Not just TOO is killing em either. Overall throughout the hunting population more good deer are getting killed than I can remember in previous yrs.