Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

looking for outfitter

themedic

OHIO
No way can an outfitter call themselves a 'fully guided hunt' if they are out hunting themselves. Whether it's one client or 10 you are there for their beckon call. What happens when one of your hunters gets hurt and you are in a treestand and have to take a half hour or more to get to them because you have to get out of your stand and over to them. A true outfitter would be waiting at a moments notice to come to that hunter(s). That's what you do after you get them to the stand and you have nothing else to do....because THAT's what they paid for!

Cell phones make it very easy to be on call at a moments notice. Especially if youre hunting only a few miles away. Fully guided means stands hung, help too and frow, meals and doing everything you can to make their hunt the best experience possible. If you don't think your outfitter would do that.....I wouldn't hunt with him. Not that they are sitting in the truck waiting on you to call. If if this was the case....what hunter/property would they attend to/or stage at? IMO, a small guide with only 2 clients would be more capable of giving fast service????? Right?

Just do your homework cause their are a lot of crook outfitters in Ohio. And as stated....it's not regulated by the state.

Last edited:
Cell phones make it very easy to be on call at a moments notice. Especially if youre hunting only a few miles away. Fully guided means stands hung, help too and frow, meals and doing everything you can to make their hunt the best experience possible. If you don't think your outfitter would do that.....I wouldn't hunt with him.

That's still not my or many other's definition of a fully guided hunt and outfitter......

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Medic, I know that when you shoot you don't miss, cause you just shot yourself in the damn foot with that comment. If I was an out of state hunter looking for an Outfitter I would take a serious look at what Brock has offered. I guarantee you will walk away with a great experience and a friend for life.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Medic, I know that when you shoot you don't miss, cause you just shot yourself in the damn foot with that comment. If I was an out of state hunter looking for an Outfitter I would take a serious look at what Brock has offered. I guarantee you will walk away with a great experience and a friend for life.
I think he stabbed himself in the foot with a pine needle.

themedic

OHIO

I'm not afraid of public opinion or criticism. Thus I stay on forums like this where I'm judged and ridiculed continuously. I'm a very public and open person and many times will say what others wont. But it's always the truth. Form your own opinions but just make sure you're dealing with facts. Almost every hunter I've had hunt with me has come back again and again and left great testemonials. But many people will not agree with the way I run things....and that's fine. But I promise everyone that hunts with me will get a fair shake and I will do everthing in my power to help you be succesful.

themedic

OHIO
If you are being judged and ridiculed regular....then it's got to be that so many others are wrong?

Seriously? Not a single person that judges me has ever called me 740-503-6280 or made an atempt to educate themselves on what/how i do things. They just sit behind a screen name and type away like keyboard cowboys. Are they wrong? No. Are they right? No.

They are just opinionated.

I've been to a TOO gathering. I think Ric gavechildren. me a fair shake and a few others. At the next gathering we'll dive into this one and hopefully I can turn some opinions. Untill then I'm done with this thread unless something relevant comes up. I'm not mad either, don't take it that way. It just does no good to argue back and forth like children.

Good luck finding an outfitter Dan.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Please don't go. I am still looking for the popcorn emoticon.

Corey, I wish you luck. I won't bash you. I will simply say: I don't think you are helping your cause. Public perception you put out here for perspective clients. . . .This thread probably isn't helping it any. Were I looking for an outfitter or guide, I would be turned off right now. This may not be your best marketing strategy.

themedic

OHIO
Just make sure the outfitter isn't out hunting the property while you are paying good money to hunt. I've heard of that being done.

I agree Ric. But I'm not going to let snide comments like this go untouched.......that ain't never been my style:smiley_crocodile: Threads like these weed the potential clients out that don't agree with the way I do things and my phone still rings.

Please don't go. I am still looking for the popcorn emoticon.

Corey, I wish you luck. I won't bash you. I will simply say: I don't think you are helping your cause. Public perception you put out here for perspective clients. . . .This thread probably isn't helping it any. Were I looking for an outfitter or guide, I would be turned off right now. This may not be your best marketing strategy.

I think that's how most of us feel too. If we all stopped replying to your posts Corey that would mean we don't give a shit about you or what you are saying. It's easy to write people off on these forums and just not give them the time of day. In reality if you stopped and thought about some of what many are saying it may mean the difference between having a very successful outfitting business and one that's so-so. I think the difference here is some outfitters do this for a living where they look at it as it's their family's next meal so they don't want to do anything that would jeopardize that. In your situation it seems to be more of a hobby that you have fit in to your busy life.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I agree Ric. But I'm not going to let snide comments like this go untouched.......that ain't never been my style:smiley_crocodile: Threads like these weed the potential clients out that don't agree with the way I do things and my phone still rings.
How was that a snide comment. You licensed your operation, correct? Therefore, it no longer becomes a hobby, its a business. A business that people pay good money for.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I too can attest for Dave Lusk at Southern Ohio as well as Brock. Dave always posts pics of great bucks and seems to run some promotions pretty frequently. In regard to Brock, you won't find a nicer guy around and he is very passionate about deer hunting. Plus, I hear he makes a mean pizza!

If I were looking for an outfitter, based on Medic's post about guys looking for an outfitter because they can't make opportunity on their own (or whatever), there is no way I'd choose him. He comes on these threads for two reasons:
1. Promote his business
2. Toot his own horn

Feel free to dig into his old posts and you'll see.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
In business perception is reality. You may have permission from your clients to hunt when they do or you may go hunt public land while your clients hunt your farm. If you kill a buck while you have clients in camp it makes everyone perceive that your own hunting experience is more important than your clients. True or not true it's bad business.

Buckmaster

Portage
In business perception is reality. You may have permission from your clients to hunt when they do or you may go hunt public land while your clients hunt your farm. If you kill a buck while you have clients in camp it makes everyone perceive that your own hunting experience is more important than your clients. True or not true it's bad business.

1. Accept that one has made a mistake.
2. Try not to repeat said mistake a second time.

Appears Corey hasn't self justified #1 yet. Until he does, he cannot broach #2.

Happens all the time in the game of Life.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Seriously? Not a single person that judges me has ever called me 740-503-6280 or made an atempt to educate themselves on what/how i do things. They just sit behind a screen name and type away like keyboard cowboys. Are they wrong? No. Are they right? No.

They are just opinionated.

I've been to a TOO gathering. I think Ric gavechildren. me a fair shake and a few others. At the next gathering we'll dive into this one and hopefully I can turn some opinions. Untill then I'm done with this thread unless something relevant comes up. I'm not mad either, don't take it that way. It just does no good to argue back and forth like children.

Good luck finding an outfitter Dan.
Yes, I am serious as a stroke. You are the one who said you were judged and ridiculed often. (Basing an opinion on your own words) It's easy to argue your point one on one. But your not doing so well in a group. After what you said in this thread alone, I wouldn't recommend you to anyone.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You know as well as I do Joe, that deer hunting is about oppertunities and taking advantage of them. Guys that typically hunt with an outfitter are the ones that aren't as good at taking advantage or making things happen even if given the opportunity.

So your basically calling clients stupid then? Awesome.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I thought most guys that hunted with an outfitter either didn't have any land to hunt, or the land they have don't produce nice bucks. Apparently I was wrong.