Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scoring a bird

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Well, after I took my bird to the taxi I regret not getting it scored for the NWTF record book. It just seemed like a pain in the ass at the time since I had to be a member and find not one but 2 other members to verify the measurements since it was a large turkey. What I'm wondering now is, can I still get in the book for spur and beard length? Since there's no way to verify the weight now I'm screwed in that category.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1441506506209.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441506520314.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
As it stands right now in the book, I'm looking at #3 for beard length and a tie between 3 dudes for the #2 spot on spur length. These are archery records. I'm just kicking myself in the ass because I might not ever get this opportunity again.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just talked with them today. Since I have no weight verification I can enter it as a 22 pound bird, I weighed it at 24-25. So I'm losing 2 points in the score on the weight which would put it at number 4 in the state record book for archery turkey instead of 3rd.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
So what is your decision Chad? What is your total cost if they accept it? If you decide to enter it or not I still say you'll spend a lifetime in the woods repeating what you accomplished this past spring. Congrats again buddy.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So what is your decision Chad? What is your total cost if they accept it? If you decide to enter it or not I still say you'll spend a lifetime in the woods repeating what you accomplished this past spring. Congrats again buddy.
They will accept it, as a 22 pounder. Do you mean how much money is it going to cost to enter it? $35 for NWTF membership and $15 for the record fee. Thanks again guys.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Congrats again Chad on killing a big ass old bird with your bow! Quite an accomplishment!
Thanks Ric! A little update, I bought a NWTF membership last week for $35. They sent me a $25 gift card to bass pro, so I ordered a pair of redhead rut hunter mid weight gloves with the touchscreen fingers. I also mailed out my record information the other day, so hopefully within a few weeks I'll here from them.

Glad you were able to get it in I remember asking back when you shot it......

I find it interesting that they are willing to take an arbitrary measurement for weight as the level of variation could be extreme from one bird to the next. I have shot many birds that had big beards/spurs that were only 18-20 lbs and I have shot a few just "average" birds that were pushing 23-24 lbs. The biggest bird I every shot was 24.2 lbs and to be honest it was one of the biggest birds I have ever seen anyone shot. I personally have probably only seen one bigger bird in my life of which dwarfed the 2-3 year old toms he was with. The bird honestly had to be 30+ although I will never know because he has surely died of old age by now. But again I find it interesting that the use the value of 22 lbs as that seems a little high to me I would probably set an average closer to 20

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We weighed it at my taxis shop, but it still wasn't a certified scale. I also sent her photos of it hanging on the scale. That's why they let me enter it at 22. This bird was at least 5 years old, and they eat good around the area I hunt.