Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cool Close Encounter

I had contemplated going to the cabin today. But a couple of the kids showed up today and spent some time with us this morning. Norma and I both wanted to watch the Little League World Series today TOO. We watched both games and at about six o'clock Norma suggested we make a mad dash for Carroll County. We jumped in the truck and was at the cabin at about 7:20. I wanted to move a camera and check to see if the seeds that were spread on the 21st had sprouted. The seeds hadn't done anything. As I drove my tractor to check the plot I drove by my mineral site. I peeked at it as I drove by and could tell it was still being hit a lot. After checking the plot I headed back down the hill to get my camera which was fairly close to my mineral site. As I approached the mineral site on my tractor I see a deer at the Trophy Rock. It turns out to be a spike buck. He eyeballs me as I approach and seems quite calm with my intrusion. I stop and turn off the tractor. At this point we are about 15 yards from each other. I step off the tractor and he takes one hop away from me and stops. I go over and take my camera from the tree, go back to my tractor and as I put in new batteries he walks back to the TR. He looks at me with little concern. So out of curiosity I started talking to see how he would react. I told him he was just a little guy and had nothing to fear, I wasn't going to hurt him. He licked the TR as I spoke. I got on the tractor and turned the key, he took another jump when engine cranked. The tractor started and he stood there and watched me drive away. I was amazed how he showed little fear of me. This little encounter made my day.

That's pretty cool Dick! The wife and I were checking cams yesterday and had a fawn come out from underneath the creek bridge when we road on to it with the quad. It stopped for a moment then high tailed it. It's pretty neat that spike didn't seem to care that you were there.

He has been a regular at the TR all summer. Here is a photo of him in early August. Pay no mind to the date on the photo. This camera can't keep time and date worth a nickel.

Attachments

• HUNT8084.jpg
    HUNT8084.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 81