Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

sight questions - adjustments?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok I am going to try to make sense of this via the internet.

So my bow site is an Axcel (not sure which model). I love the site

However, you can adjust the entire housing up/down, left/right. Today as I was making some small adjustments, I realized that my housing is about maxed out on its left/right adjustment. Good news is I am shooting very well out to 40 yards after these adjustments.

Does this seem right? Anyone else have this type of setup? Does this even make sense to you who are reading it?

Thank you!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd tend too think it's out of tune.... Could be wrong but something seems wrong when it's adjusted that far out....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well if that's the case I'll probably just use it this year then work with someone to tune it. I don't want to change my entire setup right before season.

Ughhhhhhhhj

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
I'm assuming that your right handed and your rest is maxed to the left. If you move your rest slightly to the right it will help. Shouldn't affect your arrow flight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like the centershot of your rest is off, or your arrows could be spined incorrectly for your bow, or you might have some bad cam lean. Have you ever walk-back tuned? If not, try this... 1. Draw a perfect vertical line on your target. 2. Shoot that line with your top pin from about 6 feet away. 3. Adjust sight so you hit this line PERFECTLY. Split that fugger, perfectly. Don't worry about where you hit high or low. 4. Move back to 20 yards or farther (as far as you can and still comfortably shoot a great group). 5. Shoot with the same top pin, right at that line... try to split it. Shoot more than one arrow if you aren't sure. 6. Adjust rest left or right to correct for missing the line. (Example: If you're missing left, adjust your rest to the right) Make VERY SMALL adjustments. A little goes a LONG way. If you adjust your rest, move back up to 6 feet and shoot again. You will probably have to adjust your sight windage again and start the process over. Keep repeating these steps until you consistently split that vertical line at both 6 feet and 20 plus yards. When you can do that, your centershot will be correct.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'll try to post a pick today.

So I made small adjustments and I'm shooting good groups out to 40. Should I start making adjustments this year on the rest or would you all just roll with it?

Thanks for help.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Also this is a prime alloy. Not sure if that makes any difference or will help with advice.

Sounds like the centershot of your rest is off, or your arrows could be spined incorrectly for your bow, or you might have some bad cam lean. Have you ever walk-back tuned? If not, try this... 1. Draw a perfect vertical line on your target. 2. Shoot that line with your top pin from about 6 feet away. 3. Adjust sight so you hit this line PERFECTLY. Split that fugger, perfectly. Don't worry about where you hit high or low. 4. Move back to 20 yards or farther (as far as you can and still comfortably shoot a great group). 5. Shoot with the same top pin, right at that line... try to split it. Shoot more than one arrow if you aren't sure. 6. Adjust rest left or right to correct for missing the line. (Example: If you're missing left, adjust your rest to the right) Make VERY SMALL adjustments. A little goes a LONG way. If you adjust your rest, move back up to 6 feet and shoot again. You will probably have to adjust your sight windage again and start the process over. Keep repeating these steps until you consistently split that vertical line at both 6 feet and 20 plus yards. When you can do that, your centershot will be correct.

This ^^

You definitely don't want to just leave it without checking. If the arrow is coming out of your bow at an angle and not straight that means energy is not directly behind the arrow which would also affect penetration. Just food for thought.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This ^^

You definitely don't want to just leave it without checking. If the arrow is coming out of your bow at an angle and not straight that means energy is not directly behind the arrow which would also affect penetration. Just food for thought.

Ditto!!!!! Most definitely make the adjustment!!! You'll be glad you did Albert!

Just 1 More

Or (IMO) better yet, broadhead tune

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks all for the tips. I happen to be in Columbus this week so I think Milo and I will be meeting up. I love to bow hunt but I am 100% self taught, to be honest I just don't feel that confident moving shit around on my bow without an expert near by!

I shoot rages, and yes make sure they are flying true before hunting! Thank you for the tips!

themedic

OHIO
Don't be at all affrriad to make changes. You got plenty of time and once a bow is in tune you should be able to sight it back in IN almost no time.