Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Something New

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had all new cables and string as well as trigger mechanism installed on my ten point and shot it yesterday and out too 20 yards held a decent group, but at 30 yards I was hitting consistently high (4-6") and noticed they were spiraling at that distance....
Tried a few different arrows as I usually only use one as I don't want too damage any of them hitting each other...
They said I would pick up added FPS with the new setup,but I think with the added speed it's affecting my arrow flight.... I've had the same arrow setup for quite a few years with no issues.... I shoot the thunderhead 125's and ten point carbon bolts.....
Talked too a buddy of mine and he suggested (which I agree) too shoot a different broad head. So he let me use his Rage practice tip.... Going too shoot it too see if that fixes it.....
I'm not a fan of mechanical heads but if they fly with now issues I may try them....
Has anyone had issues like this? Is there another broad head that I should try that y'all have had good arrow flight with??
Kind of unnerving having used the same broad head for close too 20 years and now have too look at something else.....

I've found that increased speed on my crossbow caused the same issue. Although my Hortons are considerably slower than any Ten-Point. I had new limbs, cables and string put on my old Super-Mag about three years ago. That was the end of my being able to shoot Thunderheads. It took a while to figure out why the arrows would no longer group and hit the target at an angle. I noticed with field tips I could be consistent and the arrows hit the target straight on. I next removed the blades from my Thunderheads and without blades they flew well. I bought some cheap 1" cutting surface broadheads at Wal-Mart. I tried them and they shot fine, problem was the blades broke so easily. I finally found some older 100 grain 4 bladed 1" cutting surface Muzzys on eBay. I bought them and they flew true. I've used them since and have been quite happy. The hole they make is small compared to most of todays broadheads, but I've never lost a deer I've hit with them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, I'm having that same issue you did Dick..... Problem is I've used thunderheads for so long I've never really looked at anything else lol.... I always stick with what works lol.... Problem now, they aren't working lol....
I have no experience with all the newer broad heads and figured I'd pick all your brains lol.... This stuff isn't rocket science and I don't want too overthink/react too it....
I also don't want too spend a hundred bucks trying too find out what works either lol....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Might need to go to a heavier head. I tried the thunderheads out of my excaliber and had the same issue with the 100's and 125's and with the rage 100's. Just for the hell of it i tried the excaliber bolt cutters that are 150 grain and i will never shoot anything else. When i say they fly the same as the field tips i mean they fly the same. Perfect straight every time. Muzzy also makes one that is 150 grain that looks like the bolt cutter that is cheaper but i have never tried it.

Now that you guys mention it last year we started having a little trouble getting our Thunderheads to fly consistent from one bolt to the other. I ended up getting two that seemed to fly very similar and kept the heads with the same bolt and just switched blades in and out from practice to sharp for hunting. May need to think a little more about this one.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Chuck, just tried the 100 grain rage 2 bladed and they were hitting the same hole from 20 out too 40....
Looks like I just found what I was looking for....
Only problem is I'm Leary of the penetration with them.... My buddy said if he doesn't hit bone he gets complete pass throughs.... Time will tell....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Easy fix. Time to try the Slick Tricks.

I am NOT the archery guru around here by a long shot. It was explained to me the faster bows need a shorter broadhead from tip to threads. Something about the physics. I am saying nothing more. I am NOT the expert. I just know it worked for me when I went to a faster bow.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440812842.379985.jpg

Well after shooting the rage 100 grain practice head I broke down and bought a pack.... They're pretty proud of them heads that's for sure....
Going too finish zeroing it in this weekend and get used too them....

Phil, I'd already picked them up before you posted....

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
View attachment 35240

Well after shooting the rage 100 grain practice head I broke down and bought a pack.... They're pretty proud of them heads that's for sure....
Going too finish zeroing it in this weekend and get used too them....

Phil, I'd already picked them up before you posted....

uploadfromtaptalk1440813972460.jpgWell Well Well J now we know.lol
Been waitin to get ya back.lmao
Enjoy the Rage in the Cage J!!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm having that same issue you did Dick..... Problem is I've used thunderheads for so long I've never really looked at anything else lol.... I always stick with what works lol.... Problem now, they aren't working lol....
I have no experience with all the newer broad heads and figured I'd pick all your brains lol.... This stuff isn't rocket science and I don't want too overthink/react too it....
I also don't want too spend a hundred bucks trying too find out what works either lol....

If you guys are having problems get a squaring tool from g5 to use on your arrows.Makes a big difference. Your inserts are not all the same so your broadheads dont line up flush after you tighten them. The tool trims all the rough spots off and smooths it out and your heads will all tighten flush.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440880765.444682.jpg

Well spent some time getting it dialed in and hitting spot on from 20-30 and the above is 41 yards free hand....

Accuracy I'm pleased with them as of now, we'll see the true test when they're launched at a deers ribcage.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J, I'd bet 100 bucks the new strings, cables, are not dialed in just right. A little long or short, and your cams will be out of time the same as any vertical compound bow. Out of a reasonably tuned bow, Thunderheads fly like darts. If you spin them, (or any fixed head) and get a little wobble, you are going to have issues. I'd spin check them, and I'd look to make sure the cams are "in time". Since you've shot Thunderheads well out of it before, I assume your head/bolt connection is not the problem.... check the cam timing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
J, I'd bet 100 bucks the new strings, cables, are not dialed in just right. A little long or short, and your cams will be out of time the same as any vertical compound bow. Out of a reasonably tuned bow, Thunderheads fly like darts. If you spin them, (or any fixed head) and get a little wobble, you are going to have issues. I'd spin check them, and I'd look to make sure the cams are "in time". Since you've shot Thunderheads well out of it before, I assume your head/bolt connection is not the problem.... check the cam timing.

I would agree as well!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Easy fix. Time to try the Slick Tricks.

I am NOT the archery guru around here by a long shot. It was explained to me the faster bows need a shorter broadhead from tip to threads. Something about the physics. I am saying nothing more. I am NOT the expert. I just know it worked for me when I went to a faster bow.
Yes! They fly great.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Checked timing first time I noticed the spiral and with my glasses on and slowly pulling it back numerous times it appears too be breaking over correctly.... That's why I went with the added speed and affecting the arrow flight....m

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Chuck, just tried the 100 grain rage 2 bladed and they were hitting the same hole from 20 out too 40....
Looks like I just found what I was looking for....
Only problem is I'm Leary of the penetration with them.... My buddy said if he doesn't hit bone he gets complete pass throughs.... Time will tell....

I shot about 12 deer with a rage and only lost one. And that one was my fault, I hit the ball of a mature bucks shoulder on a slight angle and the bolt glanced off. I've also lost deer with fixed heads and shoulder shots.
I had the same problem with the fixed heads when I went to a faster xbow. Went from Muzzys to Rages. No regrets. I'm going to try the Grim Reapers with my even faster xbow I have now because I'm leary of the blades opening pre maturely. Witch is something that never happened with my old xbow. Good luck.