Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Managing big bucks on your property

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just try to shoot a mature buck on the properties I have permission to hunt. I don't have time to drive or the obsession to drive around looking for the biggest most impressive crowned buck to hunt. I know if I did I'd prolly be stepping on others toes that's been hunting there awhile as well.

If I just had 50 to a 100 acres to hunt by myself with no asshats setting up on top of me and driving quads around the property while I'm hunting I'd be happier than a pig in shit. If I'm able to kill a mature deer on it once in awhile great but I do hunt hard and try to do it every year. It's nice if those around me at least let the 2.5 year olds walk but if not as long as they do it legally and tag the sumbitch and stop hunting for another buck then I can live with that! I'm not going to tell others what they can or cannot shoot but they better play along within the law!

The question was posed earlier by the OP. Would you shoot the 180 buck or the mature doe? Of course I'd shoot the buck cuz that's what I'm after but let me ask it this way. If the 180 was 3.5 years old, who would NOT shoot it? Raise thy hand.....

We all hunt with different self imposed goals. How far we go to reach a goal varies individually. My goals have changed over time. Today I hunt for larger antlered deer and know that some years I will eat tag soup. I still enjoy my time as much, maybe even more, than I did when any antlered deer or even a doe satisfied me. Killing a deer is not that important to me unless it is a good buck. But, the guy that shoots a small buck or doe is no lesser of a hunter than myself in my eyes.

No, I would argue they are very in tune with deer numbers and genuinely concerned about deer numbers. Of course then maybe they shouldn't shoot anything in that area and hunt somewhere deer density is higher.

Having plenty of bucks and very few does can be a concern as well. Way too many variables for such a narrow mind to just go some where's else. This is very common is some areas from Michigan to Ohio especially in states that only allow one buck.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I mentioned before that bucks are mobile in their travels. In example on one day during the 2014 rut I seen 14 bucks on the back of my farm in a all day set. Now that in my mind that is bucks being mobile in their movements at least during the rut. I do understand it's still bow season with less hunters in the field that that many bucks traveling around surely does increase the chance of someone shooting them. Those bucks are not being held on one piece of property.

I mentioned before that bucks are mobile in their travels. In example on one day during the 2014 rut I seen 14 bucks on the back of my farm in a all day set. Now that in my mind that is bucks being mobile in their movements at least during the rut. I do understand it's still bow season with less hunters in the field that that many bucks traveling around surely does increase the chance of someone shooting them. Those bucks are not being held on one piece of property.

Sounds like you had a breeding party going on. There was no doubt a hot doe was close.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like you had a breeding party going on. There was no doubt a hot doe was close.

It was a day to remember as there was does and bucks running around all day. I can only hope to see that event again. Then about 3-5 days later there are groups of 2-3 does feeding in my food plot alone.

Last edited:
I was a day to remember as there was does and bucks running around all day. I can only hope to see that event again. Then about 3-5 days later there are groups of 2-3 does feeding in my food plot alone.

I too have seen this. It truly is something to behold!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Very select crowd...but from what Ive heard there is a few

I'd definitely wait another 1-2yrs for a deer with that type of potential to grow. Even better to have the story and trail cams pic too to share! Imagine the possibility with those type of genes. I'd be sure to have the 4x4 ready to go in yr 5.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I'd definitely wait another 1-2yrs for a deer with that type of potential to grow. Even better to have the story and trail cams pic too to share! Imagine the possibility with those type of genes. I'd be sure to have the 4x4 ready to go in yr 5.
180"........ Pass on?..........lol, I don't think I could do that Adam. The odds of a buck with that much on his head at 3.5 would be one in a million in my area. Plus, I've only seen one buck in all my years on stand that would break 180".

angelzd28

HA passing on a 180" deer is for the birds, or for the "Pra fessianals" For me personally a lot of times it comes down to the time I have to hunt. Sure if I could hunt every hour of every day of deer season passing on bucks that could potentially reach humungous status might be in the cards. Hunting is a hobby albeit one I take seriously, but I could never pass on a 180" deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I believe the 150-155" 14pt I shot in 2013 was 3.5yr old. Safe to say I wouldn't pass on a 180" 3yr old. Would I love to see him at 4 or 5? Well duh. Of course I would. The reality of him staying on the property I have to hunt, regardless to how much property management I have in place, is not going to happen. Never have had a shot at anything of this caliber would also be the reason to shoot.

Now. . . Were I in an area I consistently saw 4 or 5yr old deer and had history several years in a row on said bucks? I might pass IF this were commonplace. If i were the guy in an area rarely seeing 120" deer? I would shoot a 140 and be thrilled. NOT every area has the "it" factor. Doesn't matter how much management is in place. Some areas simply do not offer the genetics and nutrition to goes them.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
180"........ Pass on?..........lol, I don't think I could do that Adam. The odds of a buck with that much on his head at 3.5 would be one in a million in my area. Plus, I've only seen one buck in all my years on stand that would break 180".

Come on Ron, you couldn't smell my sarcasm all the way down your way?!? I love these conversations.....I'm right there with Mike. Show me brown (BB's included!) and it's game on:smiley_coolpeace:

No how, no way will I ever become a "trophy" deer hunterrotflmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What cracks me up is guys calling this deer a "management" buck...

Sure, if we had multiple tags and I was managing a chunk of ground that was large enough to constitute "manageable" land. We get one tag and this deer is standing on the 11 acres I can actually "control". The term management buck in Ohio is ridiculous IMO...

Last edited: