Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ground blinds? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Ricer2231

I'm thinking about getting a ground blind to use on a piece of property I plan to hunt this fall and have never used or for that matter owned one. What do you all think of them and what is a good brand?

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I just bought 2 the other day. They are ameristep brand and were $99 each at midway USA and shipped free. I hate the thought of buying one for $2-300 and coming out to see it collapsed by snow, blown away or stolen. I shot 3 deer from the same blind last year and one the year before. It was pretty well toast after 2 seasons. I use tree stands also but the blind is nice if its raining and I think can work just as well if it's in a good spot and set out early. The view sucks compared to a tree stand though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had an ameristep when they first came out where you unpackaged it and it popped up by itself... Easy setup and take down, just just left me always wondering what was sneaking in on me as my hearing isn't that great too begin with.... I like hunting off the ground, but like the homemade brush one in against a hillside if available or a big tree if there's any available as well.... More natural and one time setup....

I shoot a crossbow so not much movement too get busted....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hate them and love them. In late season they're awesome for a comfy sit. I just hate the view and I feel like it robs me of my outdoor experience. I love being in a stand and having the ability to see 360 degrease.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have an ameristep brick house. It fits my big ass in it and I'm able to draw my bow easy. I pretty much just use it for turkey hunting but I did set it up and brush it in on the edge of a bean field this year in case my step daughter wants to hunt. Brushing it in is crucial. I don't really like deer hunting out of blinds for the same reason Joe stated, I can't see 360°.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love them personally. Get a Barronett Big Mike or Grounder 350. Only blinds out there made for guys our size to stand up in. Brush it in well and try to get it so you have some elevation difference. You won't be disappointed.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I don't like the view either. I love my ghillie suit/crossbow for mobility but it'd be tough to draw a vertical bow.

The last few years I have hunted only from box stands. A little different, but along the same idea. I think the key is to use topography to keep deer from passing behind your blind. My two main setups are in spots that a deer will very seldom, if ever go behind my stands. A tight funnel is a great spot to set up a ground blind. The longer you can keep the blind in place the less deer will pay attention to it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Eh. I cleaned one up today. It is set up for rainy days, or hunting with my son. It is in the best slip in/slip out spot I have. The visibility isn't the greatest but works for this particular location. We sell the Barronett Blinds Jesse mentioned. I have been pretty impressed with them. Overall, they are certainly not going to be my first choice for a sit. I simply enjoy the view from a tree too much.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I've killed a few from a ground blind. Sometimes its the only option. I agree the view is not as good as a stand. If it is possible to put the blind under a tree so you can tie the top to a limb this will save you if it snows. Snow will bust a blind down and ruin it. We lost a few this way. We now have all wood blinds that stay out all year. So much better.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
No one has mentioned the fact that one of these "tents" is a great way to commit suicide. even on private property. My first experience was turkey hunting. I am sitting on the lower side of a single power line calling. It took quite awhile to spot the "tent" housing some 15 year old dim wit dumb a** redhead punk who was trespassing right in the line of fire for a bird walking down the power line. I had no idea for an hour or so that he was tresspassing. This idiot told me he was bringing in his film crew to video record him shooting a triple bearded gobbler hanging around that area. He had ridden his 4 wheeler about two miles to "poach" a bird. As this punk got older, he has poached a number bucks after dark and now is running a phony guide service leasing land.

An even bigger problem is people who want to hide their "orange" during gun season. I think the ODNR should require Orange on all 4 sides, now, during "rifle season". Even if your the only person with permission on the property, you might catch a slug from an adjacent property or even some road hunter.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not a big fan of the view either, but then again the only one I have tried was a small cheap one. Now that kids have entered the mix, I will most likely start adding one or two to my sets each year.

Jal5

It has its place. I use the ameristep teepee style on rainy days early in the bow season with xbow and late in the season too. Have taken a few deer with it but getting the elevation right is a key.

rsmith

I just got my first one this year for my birthday and am excited because now I can go out on those rainy days and not have to worry about getting soaking wet. Also in the winter they will be nice cause you just set up a buddy heater and you're luxury hunting! If you get some hot early season days though you're screwed cause those get hot fast! Turkey hunted out of one this spring and it felt like it was 100 in there I was wearing shorts and a short sleve black t-shirt cause I got so hot.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Have used them in the past and I wasn't very gond of them... way to many blind spots for me. But now that my son keeps sayin that he wants to go hunting witb dad this year i will probly have to get one or make a really nsice natural blind to hide his fidgeting...