Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone kill a deer with a 44 Mag rifle?

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Last 444 I saw at a farm auction sold for $1050. 44 mag ammo is the easiest to get out of the popular calibers for Ohio. the 45 colt has been overpriced for the cowboy action guys. Stores are gouging on 444 and 45/70 and brass for either is either too expensive or hard to find.
bottom line under current conditions, a 44 mag is the most practical. I have also heard Remlin Marlin had not made any trip 4's in years. the 444 is easy to load if you stockpile brass. I have had a trip 4;s rifle since 1986. and a 430 JDJ in a T/C 14"barrel.

Another option is a Springfield Trapdoor 45/70. You can attach a bayonet to gut out the deer.

themedic said:
If I wanted a good, low priced but still accurate lever action for Ohio deer hunting. What gun, brand, model, caliber, would you suggest?

themedic,
I do a silly amount of research, before making a purchase...and for a rifle, it's always based on ballistics and it's purpose/use.

In a lever action, for less money, but a good rifle... I suggest a Marlin in 44 Mag. The side loading port is better than the tube magazine of the Henry. It has a 20" barrel available and is a very reliable lever-action rifle.

Here it is at Buds Gun Shop, for $580 + a $25 transfer fee to your FFL Dealer.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...3/products_id/41009/Marlin+1894+44+MAG+20+WAL

Bowhunter57

afhunter

I lived in MS when pretty much the same law was passed. I have a .44 rifle and it works well out to about 75 yards. It is a single shot H&R. Those are nice and cheap and the barrels can be swapped. Not too familiar with the new OH law but are 35 Whelens allowed? If so that's the round you want to shoot.