Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slow start....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Pretty slow start to the year for me.... this is unfortunately the biggest deer I've got a cam so far. I've got video of him from last year also and he looks identical just bigger. He needs a name..... any ideas?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the heavy tines and curl to them. Maybe Curly? There is the mule deer like fork as well. Muley? Forky? It will be tough for you (or most of us) to top your deer from last year, but he is a solid deer Zach. Might be anti-climatic after last year, but he is still a deer to be proud of if you harvest him or if no other shooters show up. Good luck man!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Dang! I love his mass buddy!
Looks like he's related to your last years buck? I'd like to see hard horn pics later. Good luck passing him up. I surely wouldn't.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
That dude is a monster… You normally shoot bigger deer?!

Not normally, I usually average right around 140-150".

Don't get me wrong I would shoot this deer in a second bc I know he's a 4.5 yr old and I'd be content with a 140" every year. Just hate putting all my eggs in one basket is all I was saying... He's the only shooter I have patterned and found for the most part. Set up a bait station yesterday for him so we'll see if he sticks around. We all know what happens when the beans brown and the velvet drops!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Its tough to not have that huge deer on your cameras. Some people live by what they see on them. But I know you know better. A camera is basically a needle in the hay stack. Even bait wont draw every deer around. And more often then not, I get more bucks on my cams when the rut starts kicking in toward the end of October.
So you know you have one shooter buck so far. If I were to go by the 6 cams I have out that's all I'd have to. But I'm lucky to have some good neighbors who share pictures. And all of them also have a shooter buck or two on there cams. So I know I have many bucks to hunt. One thing I've learned over the years deer hunting is that you never know. Good luck this year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Spaulding. That's the kind of rack you can wedge a basketball in.

When we saw him and videoed him last year that was my exact comment. I bet if I put a basketball in his rack he'd never get it out! I was thinking basketball names but I also thought of Mr. Krabs (from SpongeBob, watching cartoons with my boy) since he's always had big flashy crab claws. Def not concerned about the lack of mature deer to chase by any stretch I just normally have several more on camera by now.

Big Weff

Athens
When we saw him and videoed him last year that was my exact comment. I bet if I put a basketball in his rack he'd never get it out! I was thinking basketball names but I also thought of Mr. Krabs (from SpongeBob, watching cartoons with my boy) since he's always had big flashy crab claws. Def not concerned about the lack of mature deer to chase by any stretch I just normally have several more on camera by now.
Those crab claws were the first thing that jumped out at me TOO

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
So I'm calling the deer "Lebron" and he's the only truly mature deer I have worth hunting right now. Bouncing cameras like a mad man right now trying to find something else to chase. There's a nice 10pt running around too but I think he's only 3 yrs old and I def need a better picture of him since he's out of velvet. If this is the same deer he lost a TON of potential mass.