Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Axe Restoration Build Along.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool thread joe. I picked up two more sager puget sound pattern heads off Craigslist for a total of 20 bucks. One is a 1946 the other is a 1923. The 46 head was painted with black spray paint. So I tossed it in some acetone. I'm thinking about rust blueing the 46 head. I'm not sure what I'll do with the 1923 yet.

Tom are the dates of when they we're made stamped on them to get the years? Or just looking at the design??!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tom are the dates of when they we're made stamped on them to get the years? Or just looking at the design??!

It's easier said than done and depends on the brand and stamp, some are stamped with a date.

It's really difficult with Kelly because they bought and sold so many times and usually didn't stamp dates. They also bought out a corporation that was comprised of 20 different brands and even made axes for hardware store brands. None of it was documented very well or the documentation is lost to time. Usually you can get to within about 20 years on a kelly.

Are you guys buying the handles or making them???

Ive done both. I think I get a better fit making the hafts myself. Plus you get the advantage of picking a piece of lumber that has the right grain orientation. you only need a saw, rasp, spokeshave, and sand papers. It can be hard to layout a haft or anything else for that matter on a piece of lumber without a pattern or something to replicate.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Joe, I did some research and figured out what I have and I'm kicking myself for treating it so poorly. This was my wife's grandfather's hatchet. It's a Boy Scout hatchet. Although it's not that valuable, it would have been nice of me not to have fugged it up (I broke the two piece wood handle). I never saw the BSA logo until I saw it online. Sure enough, it's on this hatchet. :smiley_blackeye:

BRIDGEPORT HOWE MFG. CORP.
BRIDGEPORT, CONN U.S.A

USPAT 1830.663
MADE IN U.S.A.

IMG_20150731_160440450.jpgIMG_20150731_160451162.jpgIMG_20150731_160513084_HDR.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe, I did some research and figured out what I have and I'm kicking myself for treating it so poorly. This was my wife's grandfather's hatchet. It's a Boy Scout hatchet. Although it's not that valuable, it would have been nice of me not to have fugged it up (I broke the two piece wood handle). I never saw the BSA logo until I saw it online. Sure enough, it's on this hatchet. :smiley_blackeye:

BRIDGEPORT HOWE MFG. CORP.
BRIDGEPORT, CONN U.S.A

USPAT 1830.663
MADE IN U.S.A.

View attachment 34093View attachment 34094View attachment 34095

Cool stuff. Sounds like you have a nice handle making project coming up.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So, would the handle be made in one piece then split and then reattached too the hatchet??? You would almost use the existing hatchet handle as a template???

So, would the handle be made in one piece then split and then reattached too the hatchet??? You would almost use the existing hatchet handle as a template???

If I was doing it I would make a template from the exterior of the raised part of the handle. Then I would cut the two handle slabs. I would inlet them down onto the steel axe handle using a scraper for a tight fit. Should be pretty easy. Just remember to make the slabs thick enough so when they are carved round the diameter of the handle will thick enough to be handfilling.

Last edited: