Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Small parcel advice

Murphy31

Western Mass
Second sit update...saw 5 this morning from the same stand as the first sit. 2 does, 2 fawns and another small buck. The buck was out of range and I let the does walk again -- hope I won't regret that later in the season. I went to the stand in the SE corner to practice getting in when I hunt it next week. Good news is that I had pics on the camera, including these two that look promising. Bad news is that the stand is about 150 yards NE of where I wanted it! I used my phone GPS to set the stand, which was a mistake. Brought my good GPS today and found out where it really is. Might need to get the climber out next week to get closer to that funnel.

View attachment 37578View attachment 37579

Stop with the updates cardinal. You are getting me too pumped up. After tomorrow 5 days of work, 2 days off, work thurs and fri and once I punch out I'm meeting my 2 buddies and we are heading down for a week. Gonna be a long 9 days.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
Stop with the updates cardinal. You are getting me too pumped up. After tomorrow 5 days of work, 2 days off, work thurs and fri and once I punch out I'm meeting my 2 buddies and we are heading down for a week. Gonna be a long 9 days.

Sorry the updates are getting to you - LOL. I hope the next update shows me with one on the ground. I'll be out later this week, so will keep this thread going. Looks like you guys picked a good time to come - after the heat wave we'll be having this week!

Murphy31

Western Mass
Sorry the updates are getting to you - LOL. I hope the next update shows me with one on the ground. I'll be out later this week, so will keep this thread going. Looks like you guys picked a good time to come - after the heat wave we'll be having this week!

Hoping the hot stalls out the rut for the week then the colder temps ramp it up. Good look man. I'll be waiting for the pic, and impatiently waiting for Friday.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
I've been hoping my next update would be with a picture of a deer on the ground, but haven't pulled it off yet. I sat the first week of November when it was hot and didn't see any, and could not get out the next couple of weeks (picked the wrong week for my rut vacation). I am wary of over hunting this property, so I didn't feel too bad about that.

I moved a stand and camera to a new location last week. Sat today and got skunked.

On the good side, I was able to find a few stands of oaks in a far corner that will be good for a new setup location, and I got a few more pictures of this guy... IMG_0006.jpg.

He's shown up a few times over the last month. Hope he makes it through the week. No does on camera at all over the last month. Hopefully they're still around too!

I'm looking at mid-December for a next sit, so hoping I can give a more productive update then.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
How'd you end up doing the rest of the year Card?

Simple question, but I'll give a not so simple answer. I did not shoot a deer. I knew when I passed up chances early in the season that I might not have those chances again, and that's what happened. When I decided not to take a shot, I was trading off the satisfaction of a successful hunt and meat in the freezer with the desire for a long season spending time in the woods, learning more about the property and the deer on it, learning how I can be a better hunter, and the hope for fawn survival and deer breeding to make more in the future. So even though I did not get a deer I did have a long season, learned a bunch and got to spend a lot of time in the woods thinking and planning for what I will do on the property for next season. I'm not sure if letting them walk early in the season wil result in more deer next year, but I hope so.

So in short, I'm happy with the season, am getting ready to put some plans in motion to improve the habitat and stand access, and am looking forward to September.

How did your season turn out?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Simple question, but I'll give a not so simple answer. I did not shoot a deer. I knew when I passed up chances early in the season that I might not have those chances again, and that's what happened. When I decided not to take a shot, I was trading off the satisfaction of a successful hunt and meat in the freezer with the desire for a long season spending time in the woods, learning more about the property and the deer on it, learning how I can be a better hunter, and the hope for fawn survival and deer breeding to make more in the future. So even though I did not get a deer I did have a long season, learned a bunch and got to spend a lot of time in the woods thinking and planning for what I will do on the property for next season. I'm not sure if letting them walk early in the season wil result in more deer next year, but I hope so.

So in short, I'm happy with the season, am getting ready to put some plans in motion to improve the habitat and stand access, and am looking forward to September.

That right there my friend is the definition of a successful season.....

Murphy31

Western Mass

Glad to hear you had a good year. Hopefully next year will be better. We had a good year saw alot of deer, and had alot of fun. Good luck next year. Ill waiting for some updates this upcoming season.