Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody Ever Used a....

Hogmister13

Anybody ever used an electronic coyote caller to scare the deer away from your stand after it gets dark ? I've always had a problem scaring them off after I climb out of my stand and revealing my location. Thought this could fix my problem but I'm just wondering how effective it is. Makes since to me, better to scare a Giant buck by a coyote than a human and revealing your location.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I carry a regular howler call in my pack that I use when needed. When I use it, I'll turn in the opposite direction of the deer and muffle the call so I do blast them with it. Works well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not saying the howler is a bad idea... But I would first consider adjusting your stand location. Move it back in a bit deeper so you're not on the "X" when it's time to climb down. A coyote howler is really fuggin loud. Too loud to blow at a deer that's sub-50 yards IMO.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I picked up a night vision monocular for those types of situations so I can wait until the coast is clear to get out. Going to give it a try this fall.

Hogmister13

The situation I'm in I cant really move my stand farther... The night vision binocular's are good idea but they only see so far in thick woods and are very expensive.

Hogmister13

How do the deer react to the call ? DO they come back the next day or does it take a few days for them to settle down ?