Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Curran's 2015 Season

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Been a couple weeks, but I've been out scouting, prepping spots and taking a couple pictures along the way.

I've got a few sites set up where I just pack in one climbing stick and use steps the rest of the way up.

This area has me pretty excited. Its an inside corner on the NE end of the property. I've had some good hunts here before and the oaks in this section seem to be holding a decent amount of acorns.

Another view of this inside corner...

Couple good looking bucks from this area...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks Guys! There are two set-ups I have ready that are nice and secluded. The inside corner above, which as long as the corn stays up, offers a complete screen from anywhere. The deer sign in here is always good as it's a nice staging area situated above a bedding area.

The other spot is on a property to the south of the one above and it's another inside corner / pinch-point that cannot be seen from the road. This is the area that I got a picture of The Dude. I should've left a camera in there but it's such a far spot that a few pictures of a good buck felt satisfactory for now. I'm sure a camera will find it's way back there during season. It's almost a mile back to the stand site so I broke out the 'ol mountain bike to help shorten the trip to get the stand ready...

View from the stand out into the field...

To the back of the stand, there's a trail that looks cattle are cutting through here. Definitely a spot that's going to take some work to get a deer out of so I'll be taking that into consideration before drawing back on anything....

The view from the opposite hillside looking into the corner...

It won't be much longer on some of these fields...

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Not much to post about. I got out twice with John and both times we got skunked other than for a few doves. There birds there at some point, just not when we were...

The good news is that we looked damn good doing whatever we did and we had coffee to drink too...

Timber wishing he was with JBrown, Kaiser or Carpn or anybody else who actually kills birds...

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
As scary as that might sound to some, there's not another group of people I would want this guy to have as mentors...

Caleb has been needing a real bow for a while now, but I wanted him to want it as much as I wanted to give it to him. The deal was two-fold, 1. He could save his money and I would split the cost of a new bow with him, or 2. If he got straight A's I would pay for it in full. Well, he was making progress with savings but it wasn't progressing as fast as he or I were satisfied with. So, after a few weeks of consideration I decided to let him get the bow anyway. I didn't tell him I was doing it, so it was a complete surprise for him. He had a good chunk of money saved so the remaining balance is now being worked off. I guess he can start learning about credit now too...

He's getting dialed in at 10 - 15 yards and doing better each time he's shooting out to 20. Today we shot 25 and 30 and it's coming together but he's nowhere near being ready to hunt just yet. I'm just glad that he asks me to shoot everyday. It's going to be a fun ride...

Special thanks to Milo for stopping out and giving him some pointers last weekend!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding pics as usual Sean! Wishing you the best of luck this deer season and duck season. JohnROhio said he would let you keep hanging out with him awhile longer, but he really should be charging you to hang out with him. I can see why. JohnR is the mustache maestro.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just flat out awesome stuff Sean! Love the pics of Timber and the one of Caleb with his new bow and smile! Will definitely be tagging along with you and your thread!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks Guys! I appreciate it. Caleb and I went out to get a last minute ground blind in place. It's just crazy enough to work. It's 20 yards back from a fence opening between two properties. The deer taking the path of least resistance travel right through the opening. We dumped 10 gallons of golden acorns, set the blind and a camera and will be back opening weekend to see if we can make the magic happen.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442278370.242206.jpg

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
With winds out of the ENE it felt right to set up in the South Central stand. This spot is on the south edge of some interior bedding and along an old logging path from when the woods were select cut some time ago. The deer have somewhat maintained the trail and I've always found good deer sign in this area.

I had been getting regular pictures of a deer I decided to call Norm, since he was showing up here in daylight on a regular basis. Well, at least that was his routine when he was still in velvet. Since shedding, I have zero pictures of him here and only a few younger bucks. The does were still regular here in the early morning and before last light so I was planning on drawing back on a healthy doe if provided an opportunity. No tension was placed on my bowstring during this hunt.

Couple pictures of the young bucks sparring...

The view from the stand to the north...

The view from the stand facing south...

I was settled into the stand by 4:40 pm but didn't end up seeing any deer. Plenty of fox squirrels kept me entertained and I definitely plan on returning for some of them after I put some venison in the freezer. These woods are absolutely filled with squirrels so it should be good entertainment for a youth hunt later in the season. Three turkeys also came through and roosted nearby. The one was a very nice Tom with about a 10" beard. He was beating the snot out of a Jake that probably had it coming to him anyway.

All in all it felt great to just be back in the woods. I'm already looking forward to sitting here during the next opportune wind.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443404699.733084.jpg

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I would of enjoyed the hell out of watching the turkey fight! Maybe you can arrow one when the fall season opens.

I should buy a tag this year. There were opportunities last fall at this property and I just recorded them walking by my stand. Plus if the deer think I'm turkey hunting then maybe they'll slip up and come by too.