Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moccasins

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Has anybody ever hunted in them... i think that you could feel the ground better and be quieter

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I only knew one guy who did. He also wore complete buckskins during early ML season in Wildcat Hollow. He got upset when a guy pointed a ML at him when he came out of heavy brush. Dah- but no one ever said he was quite right. But he did get a deer that day.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I haven't, but I have removed my boots to make a stalk. I'll never do it again as I filled my feet with thorns and briars.

I also don't see them giving you any help in the scent control department.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I haven't, but I have removed my boots to make a stalk. I'll never do it again as I filled my feet with thorns and briars.

I also don't see them giving you any help in the scent control department.
Exactly, all that soft leather would hold tons of scent.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Unless you make them yourself your going to make just as much noise as your hunting boots. The commercially made mocs like my minnitonkas have a hard plastic bottom on them. I doubt they would bend around twigs and stuff like your thinking. Yes, you can feel the stuff on the ground much better then big heavy hunting boots but your still going to make the same amount of noise if you ask me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, the Indians were quite successful in buckskin and other garb but they ALSO considered the wind I would imagine. I tried it back in my youth and remember feeling what was below each step during my still hunts but NOT using the wind or the other sounds in my favor back then.
If one can withstand the colder temps and use them correctly I would think they would be a useful tool while still hunting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Let's not forget the Indians had vastly more game to shoot at than we do today. It was a numbers game. If they missed one all they had to do was wait a few minutes and another would stroll by.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I only still hunt when the woods floor is wet such as in a light-med rain or just after, and always into or nearly into the wind. This means there are only select opportunities to do so. The woods floor is much more forgiving when wet and if its done during the rain, the random drops hitting the leaves adds additional noise to cover the occasional snap of a twig.
I stay put for the most part when the woods are dry.

Stalking adds complications that are usually already addressed and not an issue from a known stand. Shooting lanes being one of them. A 1-2 hour stalk ending in no shooting lane or worse, making a bad hit because of an unseen twig is not worth the heart break. (Not to mention getting busted and educating the deer)

On the flip side; Its a hell of a reward to take a deer in this method. Mono e deero.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Let's not forget the Indians had vastly more game to shoot at than we do today. It was a numbers game. If they missed one all they had to do was wait a few minutes and another would stroll by.

I always say this!! i feel like this is the most overlooked point of it all. Deer had to be behind every other tree back then! Think about it folks! Great point Joe!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Not so fast here guys on these deer numbers in the old times.

It appears in 1500 AD they estimate there was 30M deer in the USA today there are over 30M. So with these figures in mind it should be easier today. Ya right.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1276&context=icwdm_usdanwrc
They have a hard enough time calculating the deer that are out there right now. How in the hell could they estimate how many deer there where way back in history?