Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brow tines vs no brow tines

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Thanks for sharing. I love nice brow tines. Not having any or having small brows takes away from a bucks overall look imo. Just not appealing to me.
I have seen spikes on our property. But I've never seen a buck without at least some brows.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
IMO, I think it may not apply everywhere. Texas deer are a different strain, from say a whitetail from New York, and different than the SE whitetail, Dakota Whitetails, etc...

I agree. I think most spikes in Ohio were just born late the year before. I doubt they are inferior genetically. But, I have wondered how long it would take one to "catch up" with other deer their age-class.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's got a lot to do with nutrition as well as timing. I think that's why I see so many spikes in SE Ohio and virtually none in the ag-rich NW part of the state.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I'd say that if u take a 1.5 yr old spike in Ohio and let him reach 4.5 most of us would be tickled to shoot him

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In 49 yrs. of hunting Ohio WT deer I've only seen one older deer that had no brow tines. He was a 3.5 yr. buck that had 14-16" spikes in a large diameter. If it would have been gun season I would have taken him at 75 yds.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
didn't read the article. But if this is referring to Texas deer without brows, any chance these could be a cross bread between mulies and WT?

Also I think QDMA had a few articles this year that basically showed that the myth behind spike bucks never having good racks was BS. Anyone else recall that article, Ill try to find it.