Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

October Hunting

Hogmister13

If you do some research, there is not really a such thing as we hunters call the "LULL". But it is a time of year when the least amount of Mature Bucks is Killed, but as far as Movements go, researchers shows study's that mature buck movements in daylight actually increases. I believe its Pressure that makes this time of year so hard. This is the time of year everybody loves to get out in the woods and Jack around scouting when they should have done that the year before. My 2 cents, if I were you I would find a place that isn't pressured too heavy and find the food source. I killed a 147 Inch 9 Point 3 Years ago in the middle of October still using his summer pattern. This was in Kentucky though, so moving your week up will prob increase your chances. Good Luck

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
I would think like most said , push it back a week or two but since that's not an option . I would say that's up to you , If your like me and need your dose of treestand therapy any day in the tree is a good one !

runhunter

It may not be the ideal week to go, and you may have to get aggressive, as stated before, but it's still a good time. I've done ok over the years in mid October, so it wouldn't prevent me. Acorns/pressure are key.. very good points! I am heading to the farm on Oct 22-31. I am a huge fan of the last week in October. The madness hasn't quite kicked off, but, it will give me a day or 2 to get dialed in, stands hung etc and then a good 7 days of hunting. There's a good chance of finding an early riser who is aggressive/susceptible to making a mistake.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
My schedule changed a little so I was able to bump it back a few days. Our plan is to be out there 10/21-10/29 and hunt 7 straight days. I think that should be a little better.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great time to be hunting! The switch gets flicked sometime during that stretch! Pray for high pressure and cool temps...:smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
[Q UOTE=ajupsman;416110]My schedule changed a little so I was able to bump it back a few days. Our plan is to be out there 10/21-10/29 and hunt 7 straight days. I think that should be a little better.[/QUOTE]

Year after year there is a span of about 3 days within those dates where a ton of bucks hit the dirt. Then all will be quiet for a week and the slaying kicks up again.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
My schedule changed a little so I was able to bump it back a few days. Our plan is to be out there 10/21-10/29 and hunt 7 straight days. I think that should be a little better.

That should be a great week for you! Just hope the weather turns cool and over cast, then let the game begin! Good luck!

Oh, and don't be hesitant to rattle and use your grunt tube that week. Those bucks will be on edge waiting on the first hot doe.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
That should be a great week for you! Just hope the weather turns cool and over cast, then let the game begin! Good luck!

Oh, and don't be hesitant to rattle and use your grunt tube that week. Those bucks will be on edge waiting on the first hot doe.
I'll definitely have the grunt tube and rattling horns with me.
My first year in Ohio we were out there around Halloween and it's the only time blind rattling ever worked for me. It seems like the bucks are more aggressive in late October because there are no does in heat to lock down with yet.