Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been busy in the shop

Jamie

Ohio
I haven't spent very much time in the shop for the last couple of years. the time I have spent hasn't been very productive in the birthing of bows. seems like I've done anything and everything out there BUT make a bow. it has been nearly a year since I did any bow work, but it's bowbuilding season again, and I'm not too busy with paying jobs for the next few weeks. time to get back down to business.

I had to make a new top for this small work table since the old to was made out of particle board and got left outside while aiding me at the log splitter over the summer. particle board disintegrates when you add water. final coat of shellac drying on it now.
IMG_1459.jpg

doing piddly stuff like fixing the table is a nice way to "warm up", use the tools, make some sawdust, and get in mood for some slightly more sophisticated woodworking. not to mention it forces me to straighten up the shop enough to work on bows. I glued up the bamboo backed osage blank last spring after making some slight modifications to my form. while I was doing that I also joined a pair of pretty nice osage billets, glued a filler piece on the handle, and roughed both of them out. they've been waiting patiently in my hotbox since last May, I think. time to finish them. I need a couple of lighter bows for hunting now that I've gotten to the point where 60lbs just hurts me too bad. I'll be shooting for something in the 50-55lb range at my 29" draw for both bows. I also made them both 66"ers as opposed to the 64" bows I've come to prefer. longer = smoother draw, more forgiving.

IMG_1460.jpgIMG_1461.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
yes, we're friends. he might be interested in your wood website. how do you know Matt?
He came to a meeting we had about creating a co-op around a dry kiln. We actually added a small kiln to the ops plan for drying specialty stuff for guys like him. I should have cause to go see him in the next couple of weeks to discuss that project. Cool dude from what little I've been around him.

Jamie

Ohio
Matt is good people. and he really know his shit about wood. don't tell him I said that. :smile:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Matt is good people. and he really know his shit about wood. don't tell him I said that. :smile:

rotflmao

That'll be my lead in to the conversation! "So... uh, you know Jamie right? Well he's telling people on the internet you really know wood..." rotflmao

That self bow is going to be sweet[emoji106]
I am surprised you going with 64 inch since the 62 bows shoot so well
Of course my draw is more like 27 not 29
I need to get back in the shop also. I have always wanted to build a self bow. Unfortunately my skill level is not that great.

Jamie

Ohio
you become proficient at making selfbows the same way you get to Carnegie Hall; "Practice, man, practice." I'm sure there is a stave or a pair of billets around here that would volunteer...

I almost forgot, I have an osage log that I rescued from the creek out back last summer. I sprayed it for bugs and wrapped it up in a tarp, been sitting in the shade of my wood pile ever since. I whacked out three pairs of sister billets from the short piece, but I never got around to the full length log. I should get on that asap.

backyard bow wood 1.jpgbackyard bow wood.jpg