Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Camera arm

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I just got a camera for christmas and im deciding between 2 camera arms. One's a Pine Ridge and the other is Gorilla. They're both around 40 bucks but im not sure which is better.

Diablo54

Outside
I have the pine ridge. Its ok but after a few uses i had to go through and tighten all the bolts. It gets the job done thoogh. The head is pretty rough also. It needs a better head on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaaaaaaTalk

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
How serious are you about filming?

If this is something you want to take serious and plan on doing it for a while, I'd save your money and invest in something a little higher up the ladder. The Gorilla arm is nice and it is a great value, but you can do better and it won't take a whole lot more money. The Muddy camera are is super nice and with a good fluid head, you have a professional quality set-up. If it were me at your age and if I wanted to be serious about the filming, I'd spend the summer saving my coin so I could get the Muddy and a good head. Ask Greg where he got his fluid head at if you are interested in going that route...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
How serious are you about filming?

If this is something you want to take serious and plan on doing it for a while, I'd save your money and invest in something a little higher up the ladder. The Gorilla arm is nice and it is a great value, but you can do better and it won't take a whole lot more money. The Muddy camera are is super nice and with a good fluid head, you have a professional quality set-up. If it were me at your age and if I wanted to be serious about the filming, I'd spend the summer saving my coin so I could get the Muddy and a good head. Ask Greg where he got his fluid head at if you are interested in going that route...

I'm not looking at be too serious about it right now, im just kind of getting the hang of things, tonight with actually be my first time takin the camera out. I might actually just wait and save money and get a decent one for this summer, becasue if i get one now i'll only be able to use it for a few weeks anyhow. I'm guessing you don't know tyler thomas, but he has a great set up and he's selling his camera arms to upgrade. He hunts with Midwest Whitetails now, and has ones he said he would make me a deal on.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'm not looking at be too serious about it right now, im just kind of getting the hang of things, tonight with actually be my first time takin the camera out. I might actually just wait and save money and get a decent one for this summer, becasue if i get one now i'll only be able to use it for a few weeks anyhow. I'm guessing you don't know tyler thomas, but he has a great set up and he's selling his camera arms to upgrade. He hunts with Midwest Whitetails now, and has ones he said he would make me a deal on.

Not familiar with the name, but if Jason thought enough of him to let him film, he's probably a pretty good dude. I think you'll be happy with the decision to wait. Just save your pennies and do some research in the mean time. The thing about purchasing good equipment is 9 times out of 10, you can get most of your money back down the road. And if you don't want to, the cost of ownership is generally less than if you had purchased a cheap product that didn't last...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I had the gorilla and didn't like it very much. If you are in a tree that has a little bit of a lean there is no way to compensate for it. Your camera might be level when you have it mounted but then as you swing it around the tree to get a different view your camera might end up at a thirty degree angle. That was really my only complaint on it, but that led to me getting rid of it.

AVIDOutdoors

I use the gorilla tree arm for a second agle camera.. It generally doesnt move. Its aimed at the hunter and stays that way.. If you want high quality at an affordable price, the head is WAY more important than the arm.. I know a guy who uses a screw in bow hanger with a fluid head with a window clamp. He clamps it onto the hinged bow hanger. His footage is as steady as any $400 camera arm..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I looked at the muddys, they have a arm for like 129.99, i'm not sure if i want to spend that much for my first arm, but ya get what ya pay for i suppose.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I looked at the muddys, they have a arm for like 129.99, i'm not sure if i want to spend that much for my first arm, but ya get what ya pay for i suppose.

Would you rather pay 49.00 for your first, and 129.99 for your second? There is a benifit to buy right the first time man.. ;)

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Actually, for $129.99, all you get is the base, not the camera arm. . For the Outfitter model, you will pay $199.99, and I don't see it on the website right now. You'd have to look around and find one for sale somewhere other than the muddy website. Also, you would have to buy a fluid head which is gonna cost you another $75-$150+.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Actually, for $129.99, all you get is the base, not the camera arm. . For the Outfitter model, you will pay $199.99, and I don't see it on the website right now. You'd have to look around and find one for sale somewhere other than the muddy website. Also, you would have to buy a fluid head which is gonna cost you another $75-$150+.

Wow, i thought it was 129 for everything, screw that!
still on the hunt, free handing sucks!