Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015-2016 Deer Season

rsmith

Had my 2 biggest deer ever walk by at 9:30 and 12:30 on November 1st, need less to say my 2nd week of vacation is that week

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Any time in late October through all of November can be special. It's all about timing and luck. You need to do your homework to make luck work for you. My timing has been off the last few seasons. Great action around my stands just not the days I'm in those stands.

I have always been partial to November 9-15 but I'm learning that our property seems to heat up November 15-22.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I love how everyone puts down certain dates to hunt. Do you think the deer know what the date is? if you look at the calendar, you will see that the same date can fall as far as 7 days apart from year to year. Just something to think about when picking what days you want to hunt. This year is 4 days ahead of last year. meaning November 4th this year was Nov. 8th last year. Typically for me the earlier the dates fall the better my season seems to be. Primarily because youth and opening gun both fall at good times for catching the rut. Id rather opening gun be on Nov 28th then Dec. 4th. All that said I've killed most of my bucks Nov.4th-6th. But I always check the calendar before picking what days i'm going to hunt.
Good luck whatever days you pick.

If you really want to get accurate dates and become more scientific about peak breeding and the rut I would suggest harvesting a doe in the late season and then measuring the fetus. There is a specific "ruler" for this application. By doing this you can pinpoint the day the doe was bred and then count 3 days ahead and 3 days back to acquire "Peak" activity. Obviously weather will affect this slightly...cold fronts, hard rains, etc but overall this will give you a true 7 day window! I know this doesn't really help for this year, but something to keep in mind for years to come!

teej89

NE PA
If you really want to get accurate dates and become more scientific about peak breeding and the rut I would suggest harvesting a doe in the late season and then measuring the fetus. There is a specific "ruler" for this application. By doing this you can pinpoint the day the doe was bred and then count 3 days ahead and 3 days back to acquire "Peak" activity. Obviously weather will affect this slightly...cold fronts, hard rains, etc but overall this will give you a true 7 day window! I know this doesn't really help for this year, but something to keep in mind for years to come!

hahahaha ummmmm I have no words for this.

I think we missed the rut again tho boys, heard it was May this year. The hens and does started syncing up after all these years together.

All joking aside, I'm with Taylor. If I didn't have to drive 90min to hunt I'd be in the stand Oct 21-Nov 31. Which I am on the weekends but can't during the week.

Last edited:

I think we missed the rut again tho boys, heard it was May this year. The hens and does started syncing up after all these years together.

All joking aside, I'm with Taylor. If I didn't have to drive 90min to hunt I'd be in the stand Oct 21-Nov 31. Which I am on the weekends but can't during the week.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why that's leaves you speechless....it's a fact?? If you do some due diligence, you will find it to be true. I'm not saying that's the only time I hunt, I was just responding to the thread. That process will give you an accurate "peak" breeding timeframe. This is just one article, there a dozens out there.....

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2014/can-you-predict-the-rut

teej89

NE PA
I'm not sure why that's leaves you speechless....it's a fact?? If you do some due diligence, you will find it to be true. I'm not saying that's the only time I hunt, I was just responding to the thread. That process will give you an accurate "peak" breeding timeframe. This is just one article, there a dozens out there.....

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2014/can-you-predict-the-rut

I'm just busting your chops man... I'm sure there's scientistic proof behind it, there's science behind everything, I'm an engineer so everything is black and white to me, I get it. (btw I'm a PSU alum so hell yeah for posting a PSU.edu link)

I'm just saying I'm not gonna be harvesting the a doe in the late season hoping to find a fetus and remove it and measure it just to determine the rut for the next year. But I understand you're just saying it can be done.

Also I guess I don't understand how the peak rut in the woods I hunted growing up could fluctuate from 1st week of November to the third week. That would mean the doe isn't coming into heat the same time each year. If the article explains this then I'm sorry for the ignorance.

I'm just busting your chops man... I'm sure there's scientistic proof behind it, there's science behind everything, I'm an engineer so everything is black and white to me, I get it. (btw I'm a PSU alum so hell yeah for posting a PSU.edu link)

I'm just saying I'm not gonna be harvesting the a doe in the late season hoping to find a fetus and remove it and measure it just to determine the rut for the next year. But I understand you're just saying it can be done.

Also I guess I don't understand how the peak rut in the woods I hunted growing up could fluctuate from 1st week of November to the third week. That would mean the doe isn't coming into heat the same time each year. If the article explains this then I'm sorry for the ignorance.

No worries my man... I just like to follow through and back up my words. It helps with credibility hahaha

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I didn't even read the report but I know some does come in heat early and some does are missed the 1st-2nd heats. So you can really tell anything unless you would measure say 10-100 fetus to get a average?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I shot my two biggest deer ever the last two years on halloween so i have no need to shoot a doe and measure the fetus. But if i did want to hunt the rut around here i would be in the woods from halloween to Veterans day.

I didn't even read the report but I know some does come in heat early and some does are missed the 1st-2nd heats. So you can really tell anything unless you would measure say 10-100 fetus to get a average?

That is true, there are separate "peak" breeding times for does. Typically from what I personally have experienced mature adult does come into heat 1st and then does under 90-100lbs then come into heat a later date. Lots of guys talk of a "2nd" rut, typically they are speaking of those younger does coming into heat, and again attracting bucks. Around home on our NE Ohio farm this "2nd" rut happens close to 30 days after the 1st. With that being said, I don't think you really need to measure a ton of fetuses to get accurate date, I just think you need to know if the doe is mature or not.

All joking aside, I'm with Taylor. If I didn't have to drive 90min to hunt I'd be in the stand Oct 21-Nov 31. Which I am on the weekends but can't during the week.

Chad described what they have actually done year after year up in the norther part of Michigan as part of on going deer studies. Grant Woods was involved in one I think year before last where they harvested does in late season for many reasons, this one included. Just have to remember it shows when that doe WAS bred, not necessarily when the following year(s) rut will occur but it will be a good indication!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd hope you shoot late season does for food first, not to cut out their unborn babies to predict peak rut. (Or for management purposes with the fetus as caveat.) I understand the science, but the presentation may need some work.

I'd hope you shoot late season does for food first, not to cut out their unborn babies to predict peak rut. (Or for management purposes with the fetus as caveat.) I understand the science, but the presentation may need some work.

No doubt, always eat what you kill! First rule I learned growing up was to provide your prey with a clean ethical kill and then to make use of all possible. I guess I should have made it more clear that my comments were strictly in response to the thread not my personal practices.