Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help needed

oz1195

I recently purchased 2 Moultrie M880 trail cam for the upcoming year. These things take great pics and I very happy with the quality of everything. The problem is that I cant seem to get the thing to stop taking pics. Either its taking pics every second and loads up my memory card in a day and a half or its triggering every 5 mins with and without thing in the pic. I know its something im overlooking but im to the point of frustration and I was hoping to get some input if at all possible Thanks

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sometimes when that happens to me, I have a nearby pine limb or leaf covered limb that moves in the wind and continues to set off the motion sensor.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I wish I could give you a straight answer but I can't. Is it taking pics at night too? If not then maybe your sensor setting is set too high and the heat/wind is setting it off. If it continues you should contact Moultrie and get some input from them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let's not overlook the possibility of faulty cameras. If the shutter is not functioning properly, you can run into this as well.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
First thing to do is try and figure out if it is the camera or something setting it off.
Put the camera in a controlled environment. Like a shed, barn, house. Test it there.
Once you know if it is taking pictures in there or not you will know what to do.
If it is still acting weird contact Moultrie if not then you know it is something
Moving to cause it in the field.

bhedrick

I have had several moultrie cameras. In the past year I bought a M80xt that I had to return because it would continuously take pictures, After exchanging it for another one I had no problems. The next one I bought was a gm80 this one took about 30 pictures and then the camera froze up keeping the LED's turned on. The LED's were on long enough that the camera smelt like melting plastic and became extremely hot. I exchanged it for a new one and the new one also stopped taking pictures but no LED issues with this one. I again returned it back to gander mountain and exchanged it for another m80xt that has been working fine. I spoke to the manager at gander mountain and he told me that he has seen several moulries returned with issues. It's possible that you just have a defective camera. I always set my cameras up in my house for a couple of days to test them out. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out. Just a note some moultries have a plot watch mode , you may want to look into those settings as well. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

rsmith

Not worth the hassle of extensive research, do what bhedrick does which is set it up in your house in the kitchen or set it on a table somewhere in the morning when you leave for work and leave it for 2 or 3 days. If it took a crazy amount of photos take it back and exchange them for new ones. M80xt are good cameras I have one and it works great, just test it for a couple days, if something is wrong with it exchange again till you get a good working one. Hope you figure out what it is though

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
First thing to do is try and figure out if it is the camera or something setting it off.
Put the camera in a controlled environment. Like a shed, barn, house. Test it there.
Once you know if it is taking pictures in there or not you will know what to do.
If it is still acting weird contact Moultrie if not then you know it is something
Moving to cause it in the field.

Yes set it up in a control area. My one Spypoint camera would go off at the least leaf movement.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I agree on testing a new camera at your house before putting it out. Make sure the camera is not facing the sun. Anything moving in front of the cam can set it off, Including shadows from trees on sunny days.
Lower sensor level if you can.