Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Base Layers

Milo

Tatonka guide.
once you fellas try wool, it will be hard to go back. its soft, quiet and moves with you. I am tyring to switch to all wool for everything..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
My warm gear is a fleece type material and is warm as hell. Its the Rocky Scent IQ filled with smoke. Great stuff. I am very happ with it. Only thing that sucks about wool/fleece is it picks up all those burrs and thistles all the time. I cant walk through a corn field with an hour of pulling thistles off. Drives me nuts!

CdBurner

I wear some Gray wolf woolens and you are spot on .....it one of those things that if you try it your hooked...Meth for deer hunters i guess...:smiley_crocodile: i will barely consider any other garments to wear unless i absolutely have too. I am looking at the minus33 stuff now...prolly gonna order some today or tomorrow to try. is your minus 33 base the light stuff and justin charles the expedition weight?

Yep- -33 is light stuff and Justin Carles is expedition weight. You will never regret buying that stuff. Never itch, wicks great, warm as hell. For a cold weather hunter, it's like buying time and comfort in the field.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
did you buy your -33 stuff from Hanks? have you compared it to first lite?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Cd question, why are you running with the lite base and justin heavy? Any advantage over just minus 33 heavy?

epe

Lancaster
Do you wear the minus 33 expedition long underwear against your skin, or something under that?

sent from my HTC evo

CdBurner

Cd question, why are you running with the lite base and justin heavy? Any advantage over just minus 33 heavy?

I owned the J.C. first and wanted something a little lighter so I got the -33 for a little warmer days.

AVIDOutdoors

The ABSOLUTE BEST cold weather base layers I have EVER worn.. And MILES over UA are red rock thermals.. They are a bit heavier than UA, but a million times warmer.. I like UA because it fits snugly and has a mockT.. I usually wear my UA shirt under my red rocks just for the mockT part of the shirt.. But hands down, red rocks beat anything I have evert tried by a mile..

CdBurner

The ABSOLUTE BEST cold weather base layers I have EVER worn.. And MILES over UA are red rock thermals.. They are a bit heavier than UA, but a million times warmer.. I like UA because it fits snugly and has a mockT.. I usually wear my UA shirt under my red rocks just for the mockT part of the shirt.. But hands down, red rocks beat anything I have evert tried by a mile..

How would they be a base layer if you wear UA under them?

AVIDOutdoors

They are a base layer. I thought I covered why I wore an UA shirt under them quite well. I dont always wear UA under them. IF, I want a mock T neck I do. However, these are WAY too warm to wear until it gets COLD out.. If I could buy them with a mock T I would throw my UA away.. I will wear them straight under my camo.. nothing over them most of the time. Once it gets real cold, I throw another layer over them.
Trust me, they work well. Tree stands get cold.. But you havent felt cold in central ohio until you put on a cop uniform and direct traffic at a wreck for a couple hours in the wind and snow or rain..