Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Trail Camera Company Coming.....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The problem is their quality went to crap after they started selling them in the big box stores. The price point those stores want makes it hard to produce a quality product and still make money yourself. I have 4 Spypoint IR-5 cams that I purchased in early 2011 and they're still working to this day. Others that i purchased in late 2012 & 2013 are long dead.
im betting that they changed parts suppliers to cheapen the product up because the big retailers tell you what they are going to pay for your product, not the other way around.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had four Spypoints at one point. I have none in the field now. The blank pics was overwhelming. I didn't think the picture quality was great either. It was "okay" to get an idea of the frame of the rack, but you couldn't always tell a ton of detail.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Bushnell Trophy Cams. At one point a buddy and I had around 8-10 total. It was a good thing too because there were always 2-4 of them in transit for repair or replacement. The last couple batches have been better, but I am knocking on wood. Two of them just hit the woods this spring. In fact, I have only pulled the one card so far.

Last year I tried the Browning cameras. Two of the Recon Force and two of the Strike Force. I returned the Strike Force. One had a clip break the first time I opened it to check the card. The Strike Force is their "micro" cam and securing to a tree is a pain. You need two locks. I returned the Strike Force for two of the newer Trophy Cams.

I post this simply to reinforce what the others have said. I will be watching this thread periodically and I look forward to reviews. Another sub $160 camera on the market with good battery life, decent pictures, and few blank pics would be nice.

rsmith

Love the look and color of the cameras! I never understood why some companies make there cams black?? Thing sticks out like a orange bucket in the woods in a tree in the middle of January. I am also pulling for you guys, I would love to support a local growing company, only problem is that $225 is a little steep for me being a full time college student. I'm with hickslawn on possibly making a under $160 camera. I can understand having to have higher prices due to the best warranty I have ever hear of from a trail camera, but maybe do it where you can purchase the warranty for X amount of money. Would love to see a couple up and running though because I am in need of 2 more camera and I may hold off to save up a couple extra bucks to support the cause. Good luck!

matt@exodustrailcams

Matt. I appreciate you stopping by and answering everyone's questions. You seem to bet upfront and honest about your camera and business philosophy. I can tell you guys have really poured a lot into this product launch and I wish you the best.

Once upon a time we had a wholesale agreement with Spypoint. When the cameras first came on the market they were a great little cam at a dang good price. The agreement worked well. I purchased the came at "pro-staff pricing" (25-30% off retail depending on the model), and i turn sold it to our members here at cost on a pre-order basis. The price was never published, but rather the member would tell me what cam they wanted and I would provide the price. Once or twice a year I would place a large bulk purchase from Spypoint. In return, Spypoint received free advertising on the forum (banner adds, reviews, product launch announcements, threads etc). We put their cameras in a lot of hands and just about every trail cam picture was spypoints on this forum. It worked well for about two years until they started to grow as a company. They grew very fast and suddenly I couldn't get phone calls or emails returned. Orders that I placed for 50+ cameras sat waiting to be filled because bass pro placed an order the day before. Really it all went down hill when they tried to get their cams in the big box stores. As you know, the wholesale prices those stores require to carry your product is stupid. It was about this time that quality started to suffer. I hate to speculate as to why we started seeing a 25% failure rate within the first year but I believe it had something to do with quality taking a back seat to production for big box margins. The failure rate, combined with lack of communication, and my camera order of 50+ cams being delayed sometimes for a month I decided it wasn't a product this website could continue to stand behind. The straw that broke the camels back for me is when I started receiving emails asking me to complete favorable customer reviews on their cams on cabelas and bass pros website. If you notice this site doesn't run adds. It's because we don't want to be stuck in the trap of advertisers demanding we compromise our morals to sell their product. If we think it's a great product we'll stand behind it. Over the years we've ran adds for many products that we believe in and stood behind.

I'll quit rambling now and end by saying it seems like you guys have your head screwed on right when it comes to these cameras and your company, and I wish y'all the best of luck.

Jack, perhaps we could talk about offering some kind of a discount rate for T.O.O. members? We can certainly talk about that more.

I have heard similar things about manufacturers "selling out" so to speak when they go to big retail... I guess it's a part of the world we live in. To us, we really believe that making some kind of modest living selling directly to the consumer online and staying at the control of how our cameras are distributed, is more appealing than selling 100,000+ cameras a year for pennies on the dollar and having to continually invent ways to lower cost. Sleeping peacefully at night will always be priority number one, and to me that comes harder when you have to worry about a giant number of cameras being "duds", causing a big return rate and suddenly you lose everything. We want to be big enough that we can continue to pay the bills, but small enough that we can still test every camera that comes through our door. You lose a big part of that connection with your products when you bring the big guys in. The only way we'd ever go big retail is if we they'd be willing to cater to our needs and allow us to stay in touch with our core values. I think that'll be hard for them to do and see the kind of money they like to make.

Here is another sneak peak from production for those interested:

matt@exodustrailcams

Browning (my choice of cam at this point) offers cams with "no blur technology". I won't go so far to say there is no blur but it's a far sight better than other cams (Covert, Spy Point, Moultrie, etc) in that price range ($120). Where will your cams rate in the nighttime movement pics area?

Also, I am looking for a good flash cam....will there be one in your lineup?

I am going to be honest, I love my Browning cams....great product, great price, great customer service. If you do things the way they have you will be successful. Covert builds a bullet proof cam but their customer service sucks and the night time movement pics are lacking. Spy Point is a waste of money. Moultrie pic quality has always been lacking for me. Bushnell makes good cams and they are my number 2 choice. I have never tried Stealth, Cuddeback, Buckeye Cam or any others. I am looking forward to seeing how you compete with these established companies. It is a plus that you are a Mountaineer fan!

Spencie, we are talking about offering a flash alternative for our cameras. It would take a different firmware also so it will likely be next year if we get enough demand for them. I'm guessing that your browning camera's "no-blur technology" is probably just a fancy way of saying that it has a fast shutter speed (not to be confused with trigger speed) which is the end all be all decider on motion blur. We're actually making our shutter speed twice as fast for final production, putting it somewhere around 1/50th of a second for night time photos.

I think browning makes the best camera under $150 from what I've seen.

matt@exodustrailcams

I had four Spypoints at one point. I have none in the field now. The blank pics was overwhelming. I didn't think the picture quality was great either. It was "okay" to get an idea of the frame of the rack, but you couldn't always tell a ton of detail.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Bushnell Trophy Cams. At one point a buddy and I had around 8-10 total. It was a good thing too because there were always 2-4 of them in transit for repair or replacement. The last couple batches have been better, but I am knocking on wood. Two of them just hit the woods this spring. In fact, I have only pulled the one card so far.

Last year I tried the Browning cameras. Two of the Recon Force and two of the Strike Force. I returned the Strike Force. One had a clip break the first time I opened it to check the card. The Strike Force is their "micro" cam and securing to a tree is a pain. You need two locks. I returned the Strike Force for two of the newer Trophy Cams.

I post this simply to reinforce what the others have said. I will be watching this thread periodically and I look forward to reviews. Another sub $160 camera on the market with good battery life, decent pictures, and few blank pics would be nice.

Love the look and color of the cameras! I never understood why some companies make there cams black?? Thing sticks out like a orange bucket in the woods in a tree in the middle of January. I am also pulling for you guys, I would love to support a local growing company, only problem is that $225 is a little steep for me being a full time college student. I'm with hickslawn on possibly making a under $160 camera. I can understand having to have higher prices due to the best warranty I have ever hear of from a trail camera, but maybe do it where you can purchase the warranty for X amount of money. Would love to see a couple up and running though because I am in need of 2 more camera and I may hold off to save up a couple extra bucks to support the cause. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Honestly, we'd love to offer a cam at $150... but it'd be really hard to do it with components built to last. If we ever offer a camera under $200 it won't be by much. Who knows maybe some day in the future we can release a sister company kind of like Mathews and Mission that could focus on that price range.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Matt a big thin ya'll need to do as business model is stay in your price groups. The old expression of don't let the knuckle draggers drag you down to their level because they will beat you with experience. Know your market group and research the hell out of them. I have no issues with the price your asking for what I get as a consumer. I think it can and will make a reconyx customer look twice at you guys. It's just got to meet your clients expectation. The big boys know who buys their cams and they don't worry about those that don't.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Matt a big thin ya'll need to do as business model is stay in your price groups. The old expression of don't let the knuckle draggers drag you down to their level because they will beat you with experience. Know your market group and research the hell out of them. I have no issues with the price your asking for what I get as a consumer. I think it can and will make a reconyx customer look twice at you guys. It's just got to meet your clients expectation. The big boys know who buys their cams and they don't worry about those that don't.

Great points. I say sub $160 because I run a decent amount of cameras. When one comes up missing, or full of ants, or quits after 2yrs. . . it stings. I have yet to spend over $200 on a camera for this reason. Would a $300-500 camera last longer? I don't know. I do know it would be difficult to run 4-6-8 cameras if they were all $300-500. I would be lucky to run more than 2 in this range. That is just me. There are plenty of guys happy running 1-4 cameras and spending good money on quality cameras. I simply try to compromise and find the most camera I can get for my price point. If you aren't looking at mega numbers of production to satisfy the big box stores, I am sure you guys can carve out a nice sector of the market for yourselves with quality cameras in your price range.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Amen. I would rather buy one 250 dollar cam every 5 years than a 150 dollar one every 2 years.

Amen. I would rather buy one 250 dollar cam every 5 years than a 150 dollar one every 2 years.

Couldn't agree more! Once you start getting close to the $300 range then you're cutting me off though. Reading through all the comments about SpyPoints I guess I am glad I never jumped on that wagon. Just never liked the looks of the daytime or especially the night time pics of them to pull the trigger. The new cameras these days have no excuses to not put out great pictures day or night.

Really like the looks of the new camera housing Matt. Knowing that it's made out of aluminum alloy sure gives the impression of a more secure and hopefully reliable camera. I like the fact that you've enclosed the upper portion where all the electronics are to eliminate water problems that many other cameras have. Had my first camera fry a couple weeks ago because the seal going around the camera had leaked, batteries were dead and corroded and when I cleaned it up and put fresh batteries in it immediately started smoking!! Had this particular camera for 2 years now so it's out of warranty and it was a replacement for the first one that had a latch break and water inside it too after a couple months.......

matt@exodustrailcams

Couldn't agree more! Once you start getting close to the $300 range then you're cutting me off though. Reading through all the comments about SpyPoints I guess I am glad I never jumped on that wagon. Just never liked the looks of the daytime or especially the night time pics of them to pull the trigger. The new cameras these days have no excuses to not put out great pictures day or night.

Really like the looks of the new camera housing Matt. Knowing that it's made out of aluminum alloy sure gives the impression of a more secure and hopefully reliable camera. I like the fact that you've enclosed the upper portion where all the electronics are to eliminate water problems that many other cameras have. Had my first camera fry a couple weeks ago because the seal going around the camera had leaked, batteries were dead and corroded and when I cleaned it up and put fresh batteries in it immediately started smoking!! Had this particular camera for 2 years now so it's out of warranty and it was a replacement for the first one that had a latch break and water inside it too after a couple months.......

Hey BH, just want to make sure you know that the Lift is actually a rigid plastic base with aluminum alloy bracing/support, it also is topped with a rubber coating like you'd find on a nice pair of Binos. We are working on an entirely magnesium alloy base shell for our higher end cameras.

Milo makes a great point! Unfortunately we can't cover all ends of the market and we think we've found a good balance for the level of quality we're offering and price. I personally would not typically buy a camera over $300, so we wanted to stay as affordable as possible without sacrificing quality.

Really appreciate all the feedback and support!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Pre-Orders began Saturday. Not sure if they still have the special going but they were offering the cameras at $159 during the pre-orders. I know it was for a limited time but not sure how long. I ordered one.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I got mine ordered. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Matt, How are you going to police the theft guarantee? Are there stipulations...like it must be locked? Just curious because there are a lot of sketchy people out there. Seems to me that it would be more cost effective to put a tracking chip in the camera rather than a 50% coverage.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got mine ordered. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Matt, How are you going to police the theft guarantee? Are there stipulations...like it must be locked? Just curious because there are a lot of sketchy people out there. Seems to me that it would be more cost effective to put a tracking chip in the camera rather than a 50% coverage.

I ordered one too. I was wondering about the theft guarantee also. Hopefully it's on the honor system and not a police report that would be impossible to get.

Wonder if there will be a extra TOO forum discount over and above the general public?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I was wondering about the theft guarantee also. Hopefully it's on the honor system and not a police report that would be impossible to get.

I doubt the honor system is the way to go. Too many bad guys out there looking for freebies. Most of the trash won't go near law enforcement so I'm guessing a police report will be needed for the 50% deal.

matt@exodustrailcams

I doubt the honor system is the way to go. Too many bad guys out there looking for freebies. Most of the trash won't go near law enforcement so I'm guessing a police report will be needed for the 50% deal.

Hey again guys, sorry for the time between posts. We've been sleeping very little lately haha.

No police report necessary for theft, here is how it works:

-You get a registration card in your camera that must be activated within 30 days of purchase.

-If your camera is stolen, you call us up and tell us what happened.

-We identify the serial number based on the date of purchase, then we tag that number as stolen.

-You get a 50% off discount code (+$10 S&H) valid for 30 days.

-Your new camera gets the balance of the time on your original warranty.

-If someone ever calls back in about the original camera, we notify you.

That's it, we wanted to keep it simple instead of making an even bigger headache out of getting a camera stolen. There is only one replacement per purchase.

Hope that helps guys, big thanks to all who pre-ordered!

-Matt