Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New hunting property

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In the last 4 years all 3 properties across the road from my farm has changed ownership. I hunted the one property for couple years but it was tough as it was 1/2 mile long grass landing strip and the deer would come out everywhere except where you were. He sold out due to health reasons and left 2 years ago. The new owners don't allow hunting as they enjoy watching the wildlife. I did tell them that if they tired of the deer eating their new landscaping just let me know. I also lost baling the landing strip and getting 25 round bales of grass hay for my cattle.
The property be next to them sold last year. I had permission to hunt this property out back but never did. I met the new owner and he's a fireman with 6 kids and one on the way. The oldest is about 10. WOW. Both he and the wife are city raised and never hunted. I offered to take him back and show him the ropes as I know them. He appreciated that but is busy as he has a construction business on the side of being a full time fireman. But he will keep my offer to show him to hunt in his mind.
Then he says 'you want to deer hunt out back'? I told him I would consider it. The property is 1/2 mile deep and 300 ft wide. The deer cross over it going to the grass landing strip. It's wide open with I believe 2 old tree fence rows for ladder stands placement. I told him later this spring I would take him back and get a idea of the property and stand locations.
The other property sold out 4 yrs ago and are good people. The old owner's son was always being wanted by the sheriff for something. The new owners sons deer hunt and take a deer each year for the freezer. Their good neighbors and always willing to help out. The 1st year they were there I helped them rebuild the poor designed horse fence so they could get some cattle. That worked out good.

Moral of this long story is you will just never know where the next hunting property will crop up.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good deal frank! I got a new spot to turkey hunt today. I was hanging out at the taxi shop yesterday and this guy came in to check on his deer. Turns out he owns the woods and gas line right a way just up from my in laws where I shot my buck last season. He showed me pics of turkeys strutting right behind his house. Only stipulation he gave me is that I have to take his kid a few times, which is fine by me!