Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tilling plots up?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I've been in the process of making a 1/4 acre food plot at our land. I had to cut several maples down to get sunlight in the woods. Soil isn't the greatest so I picked up some screened topsoil last weekend, only had time to dump one yard. The stuff is $26 a yard so I started looking on craigslist and found someone with horse and cow shit that has fermented into topsoil for free. Drove out there today with the trailer and shovel and was greeted by a hot woman in short shorts :) so I got to stare at that the whole time I was shoveling. Told her I'd be back on Sunday for more!View attachment 32783

I can assume you don't mean more horse shit right?!?!?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
https://youtu.be/6QeuTFHKRU0

Took a video of the work I did today. Doing this plot was hell on my tiller, but its all I got. So far I've hauled a yard of screened topsoil, and 3 yards of fermented horse and cow manure out there. I shoveled all the fermented manure on my trailer, then shoveled it off into the bed of my ranger so I could get it back to the plot. Spread lime today and tilled that in also. I plan on planting whitetail institute winter greens for a fall plot.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
https://youtu.be/6QeuTFHKRU0

Took a video of the work I did today. Doing this plot was hell on my tiller, but its all I got. So far I've hauled a yard of screened topsoil, and 3 yards of fermented horse and cow manure out there. I shoveled all the fermented manure on my trailer, then shoveled it off into the bed of my ranger so I could get it back to the plot. Spread lime today and tilled that in also. I plan on planting whitetail institute winter greens for a fall plot.

Damn that looked like a lot of work. But it's looking good.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It was, counting tree cutting, manure and topsoil hauling, and tilling I probably have a good 25 hours in it. I was there today from 10-5:30. Thanks, Frank.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was, counting tree cutting, manure and topsoil hauling, and tilling I probably have a good 25 hours in it. I was there today from 10-5:30. Thanks, Frank.

Did you do the all important soil test? Being in a woods the soil is probably going to be very acid from the dropping leaves. Or so I've read.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ordered one from whitetail institute.

That's a good start. I wouldn't be surprised if the soil PH doesn't test 5-6's and it needs to be in mid 6's to 7's. I got lucky and my soil tested mid 7's so no lime was needed. From what I've researched if the PH is low the plants can't absorb the fertilzer fully.