Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tilling plots up?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok listen up..
For clover use post and slay. Why milo, cause I said so and it specifically made for clover applications... "Come on milo your bullshitting us..." Yeah not so much... The number one way to keep weeds and grasses out of you plots is WITH clover not sprays.. Keep it thick and lush and it will choke everything out but that means mowing, fertilizing and light sprays. If you hit clover with light GLY you may not kill it but you will weaken it. Turnips are for August when weeds are done sprouting

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
But what if some of us can't afford the poast spray? I looked that stuff up and it was ridiculous in price. I only have a small 30 by 40 yard clover plot and can't justify dropping that much money on it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
But what if some of us can't afford the poast spray? I looked that stuff up and it was ridiculous in price. I only have a small 30 by 40 yard clover plot and can't justify dropping that much money on it.

suck it up buttercup:smiley_blackeye:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm a firm believer in clover plot after watching deer for 2 yrs walk through everything and feed on the clover first.
Then plant a fall attraction plot (winter greens-brassica-turnips-radish) and a winter (forage oats-turnips-brassica) feed plot. Seems to be working for me.
By hard cold weather winter the clover has died back and went underground until spring.
Forage oats is my main winter feed plot as the deer are feeding in every day even at this time of the year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
On my clover plots is spray a mixture of crop oil and Clethodim and that'll kill all the grasses AND supplement the clover. Going to spray mine as soon as it dries out enough to get the mower and sprayer back there.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
by the way I also have used the crop oil, clethodim (same as slay/poast?). I am just saying if guys are wanting to save money GLY will work. I also think you NEED to oversee with clover after you do this. If you do this a few times you clover patch will be very thick.

I also plant my brassicas in end of July/first week of August. I think you need to till/pack these. I have tried the spray and pray, never had much luck myself. The year I tilled, and packed them. I had very nice stands of brassicas.

Another common method for keeping clover weeds at bay is frost seeding a cover crop like WW, WR, OATs in the spring. You can then mow these come June. Your clover should be very well established, and as long as you don't let the grains seed out, you should have a great patch of clover. This I have never done but I have read a lot on it.

Good luck!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Read a advanced post on clover over on the QDMA about using low dose of GLY on clover control weeds. Their advance was not to do it as the low dose of GLY will stunt the cover big time. Sounds too chancy for me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
EBay. You can swing $30-40 for enough to do your area 3x or Maybe more. Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never had much luck with clover myself. The deer use was so minimal compared to the amount t of effort to establish and maintain it, it just wasn't worth it to me. I found fall cereal grain plots and eagle soybeans to be way more attractive and much less effort.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just bought 8 ounces of poast on eBay. $25. One ounce will probably cover my little clover plot LOL.
Nice! My plot is not truly a "plot". It is small and more of a personal project/labor of love. I wasn't buying a gallon or 2.5gal jug either. Glad you found it on there.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've never had much luck with clover myself. The deer use was so minimal compared to the amount t of effort to establish and maintain it, it just wasn't worth it to me. I found fall cereal grain plots and eagle soybeans to be way more attractive and much less effort.

For the last 2 years clover has been my main crop attraction and will continue to be in the future. My adjoining neighbor has 110 ac of good horse hay. I'm surrounded by heavy brush and the deer come out of the brush walk straight through the hay, walk through my fall plantings and don't stop until their in the clover. It's like that all fall until the clover has dried up and died back in the winter. During the spring and summer the deer walk straight to the clover non-stop.
I enjoy the effort and results. The deer are still feeding everyday in the last years WT Inst. Forage Oats now.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the last 2 years clover has been my main crop attraction and will continue to be in the future. My adjoining neighbor has 110 ac of good horse hay. I'm surrounded by heavy brush and the deer come out of the brush walk straight through the hay, walk through my fall plantings and don't stop until their in the clover. It's like that all fall until the clover has dried up and died back in the winter. During the spring and summer the deer walk straight to the clover non-stop.
I enjoy the effort and results. The deer are still feeding everyday in the last years WT Inst. Forage Oats now.
It's weird how they're so different depending on location. Some guys have deer that hammer brassicas, but others at the opposite end of the state the deer won't touch them. I imagine it's no different with clover, or other types of plots.

It's weird how they're so different depending on location. Some guys have deer that hammer brassicas, but others at the opposite end of the state the deer won't touch them. I imagine it's no different with clover, or other types of plots.

The first time I planted brassicas down there they didn't touch them from what I could see. The second time they didn't til real late winter, maybe into February. Last year we planted a large plot of it, maybe 1 1/2 acres, after our attempt at soybeans failed. The deer absolutely hammered it from late September into October, left it alone for a while and off and on in November. After that they basically ate it down to dirt once the cold really set in.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The first time I planted brassicas down there they didn't touch them from what I could see. The second time they didn't til real late winter, maybe into February. Last year we planted a large plot of it, maybe 1 1/2 acres, after our attempt at soybeans failed. The deer absolutely hammered it from late September into October, left it alone for a while and off and on in November. After that they basically ate it down to dirt once the cold really set in.

I had the same results in 2014 with brassicas as I planted it in late summer in my 2nd year crop of forage oats that I left go to seed in tilled under. There are large bare spots where the brassicas is ate down to the ground. The deer ate feeding in the forage oats everyday all winter and now this spring.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've been in the process of making a 1/4 acre food plot at our land. I had to cut several maples down to get sunlight in the woods. Soil isn't the greatest so I picked up some screened topsoil last weekend, only had time to dump one yard. The stuff is $26 a yard so I started looking on craigslist and found someone with horse and cow shit that has fermented into topsoil for free. Drove out there today with the trailer and shovel and was greeted by a hot woman in short shorts :) so I got to stare at that the whole time I was shoveling. Told her I'd be back on Sunday for more! uploadfromtaptalk1433436840840.jpg