Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tilling plots up?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
anyone turning dirt yet? Getting clover strips in?

I'm thinking of turning this weekend and burning in a week on any new growth. I'll plant beans come mid May. Does that sound about right?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I frost seeded my clover and its coming up nicely. Broadcasted some turnips, brassica and chicory the other day, hopefully the rain we get later today will pound it in. After turkey season I plan on cutting about a dozen trees down and making that spot a fall/winter plot. Not sure what I'll plant though.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I frost seed clover in 2 patches last month and it's doing fine. This warm wet weather should make it take off.
It's so dam wet here I'd get stuck just going to the plot. More rain later this week.
I do want to go down and burn off 1.2 ac plot and get it ready for weed killer, then till it and weed kill again before planting.

My new plot that I pushed the cedar trees over has been too wet to get the trees pulled out of the way. Need to get that done so I can weed kill and till it up. I may have to plant a fall perennial.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I frost seeded my clover and its coming up nicely. Broadcasted some turnips, brassica and chicory the other day, hopefully the rain we get later today will pound it in. After turkey season I plan on cutting about a dozen trees down and making that spot a fall/winter plot. Not sure what I'll plant though.

What made ya plant brassica in the spring? I never heard of this before unless being done for a cover crop, is that why you did it? Or you wanting to see what eats it during the spring?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
What made ya plant brassica in the spring? I never heard of this before unless being done for a cover crop, is that why you did it? Or you wanting to see what eats it during the spring?

Mostly as a cover crop. I'm no expert on food plots, if it don't work, oh well.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Mostly as a cover crop. I'm no expert on food plots, if it don't work, oh well.

Hey buddy, thatll work always can till then under. Normally planted more towards fall but you might find something out about your land and deer. Good luck buddy!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I won't be doing any plot work soon. We got about 1.0 in of rain in 15 minutes at 5:30 PM. And there goes the lawn mowing too.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well I won't be doing any plot work soon. We got about 1.0 in of rain in 15 minutes at 5:30 PM. And there goes the lawn mowing too.

Damn I'm in Indy for work. Wonder if se ohio got nailed as well?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thinking of overseeding some clover this week. Next step? Bite the bullet and buy some Poast. I am seriously thinking of using Poast on most of my "lawn" at our one property. I don't get paid to mow it. I have a lot of clover in it already. Part of me thinks killing the grass and letting the clover take over would be a decent plan for drawing in some deer. No tilling. No more work than necessary. Just to try something and see if it works.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thinking of overseeding some clover this week. Next step? Bite the bullet and buy some Poast. I am seriously thinking of using Poast on most of my "lawn" at our one property. I don't get paid to mow it. I have a lot of clover in it already. Part of me thinks killing the grass and letting the clover take over would be a decent plan for drawing in some deer. No tilling. No more work than necessary. Just to try something and see if it works.

Just spray with light dosage of gly. Clover can take it, I swear. You can toss seed over top of it. Probably easier but idk maybe not. I've done both and I think light gly is cheaper and easier. Cheap to toss more clover on down too

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just spray with light dosage of gly. Clover can take it, I swear. You can toss seed over top of it. Probably easier but idk maybe not. I've done both and I think light gly is cheaper and easier. Cheap to toss more clover on down too
He's right. The clover probly would tolerate it. A bit more risky but much cheaper.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I had planned to overseed my one plot last weekend but the way the week turned out it didn't happen. Thinking maybe I should look into a spray of some sort too.
What you wanting to do? Kill it all? Is it clover?

angelzd28

Question, when do you guys plant turnips and does the ground need to be tilled or can I just throw and grow? The directions on the bag I got wasn't real clear, just said 1/4 in depth planting is preferred. Thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I typically plant the last weekend in July and till the area first. I've had some luck with throw and grow versions, but they turn out much better if you till.

What you wanting to do? Kill it all? Is it clover?

It's in clover at this point but I'd say 50% has been taken over by grasses and foxtail. Was thinking about trying a Poast application too til I saw this. I don't think I will kill it off unless it gets so bad that's my only alternative. If I do that then I will likely plant brassicas and maybe go over it with clover too, then make sure I frost seed it real good next year with more clover.