Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cams

740hunter

Coshocton
Ok so I just started replenishing my mineral licks and started hanging my old moultrie trail cams. I talked to a guy at work about getting some new trail cams and he recommended http://www.trailcampro.com. So I was curious as to what make of trail cam everyone uses? Hopefully I'll be buying a few this week.

Thanks

Mike

teej89

NE PA
wild game innovations are cheap and see to hold up decently for me. Maybe I just got lucky, I have 4 of em and only 1 kicked the bucket in 4 years. I have a cudde back and a moultrie too but you'll pay more for those.

NAC1989

Clark county
I got a covert MP5 and MP8 and love them. Good picture quality and great battery life on mine, they ran from August to mid February with half battery life still left.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Get a browning or covert! Guys post some great pics on here with them. Ask them in questions in our TC forum, my wild game cams were $75-100 but eat batteries and are okay. IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have Bushnell Trophy Cams and Browning Recon Force. I tried the Strike Force but did not like them. They were "micro" sized and I found the trail camera metal boxes to be a pain. I also had one of the clasps to hold the camera closed break the first time I changed cards. They offered to fix it, but I opted to return it in exchange for another Trophy Cam.

JBSedon

Vandalia
I run a few different cams, but I really like the basic EZ Cams. They are $50-60 new and run just fine. They have the standard flash and eat batts a little quicker, but no big deal.

And if they get stolen, I'm not out $150!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
At this point in my career, I've owned just about every brand out there. Right now I'm running a couple Browning Strike Forces and I am very happy with them. I may get a Covert or two this year, and will definitely have a Reconyx before the season rolls around.

Francis

Geauga
At this point in my career, I've owned just about every brand out there. Right now I'm running a couple Browning Strike Forces and I am very happy with them. I may get a Covert or two this year, and will definitely have a Reconyx before the season rolls around.

Have you ran any Coverts before? I had three out all from Mid summer to just March, ran them all winter. Still on the same batteries and no problems. Pictures come out nice.

I really like my Coverts. Had one that some critter decided to make a lunch of and when I put new batteries in it started smoking. I did have a couple problems over the last two years with housings that warped and started leaking but they took care of me back then. Other than that I had pics well into winter on batteries that had been in for a while. There is a new trail cam company out there (surprise surprise I know LOL) called USA Trail Cameras that I will be watching this year. A guy I know just moved from working for Covert over to them and has a lot of good to say about them.

JBSedon

Vandalia
I'm running 3 wildgame innovations. Had them 3yrs with no problems and they are easy on the wallet

I have a couple WI cams too. I feel like they aren't catching many of the deer that walk by.

Last summer, I ran an EZ Cam over a mineral hole on the edge of a field. On the opposite side of the field, I had a WI cam located over a heavy trail they were using to access the field. When I compared the pictures and times from both cameras, the EZ cam had a ton more deer in the field than the WI cam did. I would venture to say that for every 15 picture the EZ picked up, the WI only had 6. I haven't been impressed with the WI cams so far.