Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my name says it all

Thinking about moving to Ohio and whats the first thing I do? its not look for a house, not look at the schools that are in the area but I look at the Ohio hunting regulations lol. And to my disappointment I find out that I wont be able to hunt with my favorite rifles. But all that means is that I have to buy new rifles and scopes which is always a plus. I was just wondering what rifles and which calibers everyone was using. I have shot the 444 marlin and it has good performance. I was just wandering about some of the others like the .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110. I have been looking and cant really find anyone that chambers a rifle in these calibers.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome to TOO. From a Mississippi guy who now lives in Ohio I can tell you that if you want to enjoy hunting here you're going to need a bow. Get you a bow and start shooting so you can be ready for opening day. The first gun season is only a week long and it starts about two months after bow season.

Oh I have several bows. Just starting shooting a long bow about 2 years ago still waiting on my first kill with it. How's the hunting around merietta? I'm actually really hoping we get to move up there soon

RSturdi

Ohio just passed the use of the 450 marlin. This rifle will have the best performance of any other rifle. Browning BLR are very accurate. The best thing about the BLR is its magazine fed rifle so you can load pointed bullets can be loaded. I know 45/70 hand loads are impressive, but if you hand load 450 marlin you can gain even better performance. My second choice would be a 45/70 or a 444 marlin.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So what the limitation oh rifle cartridges? Here in Louisiana as long as it's 22 cal centerfire or larger you can use it to deer hunt with

ohio is more or less flat with a large population. There aren't many areas that a high powered round won't have a chance to find its way into a residential area. Pistol caliber cartridges are considered "safer" because of their lower velocities. There are places that a guy could shoot a high powered round and not have a chance of it hitting a home or car, but not many, and it's easier to make it a rule.statewide.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I highly recommend the Marlin .444. My hunting club has 11 members and better than half of us have them and all our .444's group tight out to 200.
Oh, and welcome to TOO

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ohio is more or less flat with a large population. There aren't many areas that a high powered round won't have a chance to find its way into a residential area. Pistol caliber cartridges are considered "safer" because of their lower velocities. There are places that a guy could shoot a high powered round and not have a chance of it hitting a home or car, but not many, and it's easier to make it a rule.statewide.

PA did a study years ago and they found that a shotgun slug was far more prone to skip and strike an incidental target than a rifle round.