Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Plans

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This year a friend and I put in for NM elk muzzle loader tags. If we draw we'll be hunting with an outfitter. It's actually pretty cheap because it's a no frills deal. Basically they provide the guide and we provide everything else. If we draw the tags (draw odds aren't great even in the outfitter pool) our guide will be the same guy who helped me when DonV and I drew unit 15 tags in 2012.

Like I said the odds aren't in our favor so I'm developing two contingency plans.

1. Iowa unit 5 public land whitetail hunt

2. Idaho elk with my friend or on my own

I have 4 points for Iowa so I should be able to draw the tag. I may even considering leasing a property if the price is right, but most likely it'll be public land hunting. If I go I'll take two solid weeks off and use 10 of them for hunting.

If I don't draw that tag then I'll probably head out to Idaho, but we'll see how that one goes.

I'm hoping New Mexico works out. We applied for unit 10, 13, and 15. 13 and 15 are high quality trophy units. Unit 10 isn't great, but Raul (the guide) hunts it a lot and our chances of killing an elk are pretty good. April 30th is NM's draw so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm gonna hold off on the Iowa tag this year. After speaking with a friend I may just go with him in a few more years.

If I don't draw my NM elk tag and I don't go to Idaho for Archery season I'm gonna apply for a PA cow tag. The odds aren't great either, but they are better than drawing a bull tag. I'd be 70 before I'll ever draw a bull tag anyway and I could probably draw two or three cow tags during that time.

Also considering taking a week and heading to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to hunt Sika deer, but we'll see how that goes.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
If the NM back door method is true my buddy and I didn't draw. They closed the back door on the 23rd, but I checked early on EST so I'm 90% sure we didn't draw.

Looks like I'm applying for a PA cow tag. I probably won't draw that one either though.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
No luck on the NM draw so that one is a bust.

I've had to make some hard choices this year and going out west has been sidelined. I'm trying to pay off some bills and save a few $$$ so it'll be local hunting this year.

I may come home to Ohio, but as of today I'm planning on staying here in PA during the rut. I'm planning an MD sika deer hunt though. It's not that pricey and very close.