Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

soon to be new resident

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Deer gun options I would go with the 45-70 if you have a shotgun for small game/turkey but if you don't have one I'd invest in a shotgun too pull deer and turkey/small game duty....

Lightly used guns can be found if you're not in a hurry....

Do you archery hunt as well? Ohio has one of the more liberal archery seasons.... Oct-Jan.....

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Actually Cuyahoga County is loaded with deer and in off limits areas, monster bucks. Put your first priority on getting a crossbow. Watch craiglist-sporting and you may find something like a used horton for $150, then decide whether you want to go with a 12 or 20ga pump slug gun like a remington 870 express. versus a 45/70 that may cost you in the $600 ++++ range.

There are tons of gun shows in NE Ohio visit some of them

bearcat

I have never gone turkey hunting, not much interest in it. I have never played with or even though of getting a crossbow haha but ill look into it. The 45-70 is definitely a want but ill buy a shotgun before that. I found a norinco 870 clone for less than $200 on classic firearms im itching to get. I am extremely pleased to hear using dogs for deer hunting is not allowed. I used to have a compound bow when I was a boy but that was the last time I used one, for now I focus on firearms.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We're having a get together in July, lots of experience will be there and lots of guys bringing their bows as well as guns and such..... Good time too look and ask questions on the different choices...........

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Welcome to the site. If you're looking for a shotgun, I'd look at one that has multiple barrels. I have a Remington 870 with a rifled, scoped barrel for deer that I am confident with out to 100 yards, and it also has a field barrel for turkey and small game. I think I picked mine up brand new for like $300. I would also suggest that you look at some sort of bow as well. Our gun season is really short, and a lot of the best hunting takes place during archery season.

What part of wisconsin? My wife and I found ourselves in an area near the nicolette State forest called eagle river a couple years ago. Beautiful area, would love to go back sometime.

bearcat

I look forward to attending in July if I can. Any idea of where it will be at yet? I don't know much about crossbows, always thought they were reserved for older folks and the handicapped. My uncle owns an archery business, I'm currently asking him a boatload of questions. I'm currently looking seriously at a hunting shotgun, I love remington but if funds are tight I'll go for a good ole mossberg. I grew up on the lakeshore in the town of kewaunee, I also lived in northern wisconsin in Tomahawk so I'm familiar with the nicolet Forrest and eagle river. Very nice area. Although I'd love to part ways with game master and fund another gun, it is a hand me down from my grandfather and cannot let it go. It probably won't get much use in ohio but I won't be in ohio forever so it'll stay in the safe until we move.
Thanks for the input guys! It is most appreciated.

-Bearcat

Actually Cuyahoga County is loaded with deer and in off limits areas, monster bucks. Put your first priority on getting a crossbow. Watch craiglist-sporting and you may find something like a used horton for $150, then decide whether you want to go with a 12 or 20ga pump slug gun like a remington 870 express. versus a 45/70 that may cost you in the $600 ++++ range.

There are tons of gun shows in NE Ohio visit some of them

Antiquicycle,

There is not a whole lot of "Public" access in Cuyahoga is there?? I live in Summit and was not able to come up with much as far as land access up in Cuyahoga besides LaDue State Park.

Also welcome BearCat.....I as well recently moved to Ohio and these gentlemen were very helpful in guiding me on some of the basics of Ohio hunting as well as setting me in a direction of places to start looking