Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Walleye Run

loose_is_fast

McClure
Sorry if I took a little of fence to that I had a long day yesterday. It just gets to me a little bit, since you do see so many people snagging one after another and then they keep the ones they snag close to the mouth. Again I am sorry

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Oh its cool!!! I'm with ya. I have been out in the lake without a soal around and have snagged them in the belly jig fishing. Right back in they went. With the slow start the green shirts are going to be ticket happy to fill there quota. Good luck out there!!!!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I limited on Friday in 10 casts. Legal fish on cast 1 and 2, cast 5 and then cast 10. Saturday took me almost 20 minutes. Today at Sunrise was a bit slow. Only managed 1 legal in the first hour, although I did lose a few in the current. Then I hit the right combo and it was game on the next hour for 3 of us to get the next 11 fish. My last fish was a 27" Jack. Might be Tuesday before I get up again. Definitely some very large stringers so far. Usually it's 2 quart bags of fish for each limit. But they have been large enough that I'm getting 3 full bags per limit

loose_is_fast

McClure
Another limit today but we had to work for em. We didn't get down to the river until 10 and it was slow at first, then it picked up. My cousin and i had limits after an hour and a half and we fished another hour sizing up.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I took off early from work on Monday and Tuesday and headed up. Monday only took about 45 minutes for a limit. Tuesday sucked. The wind was pushing mist straight upstream so thick it looked like smoke up and down the river. I lost the first 8 legals I had on, frustrating to say the least. In all I had 16 legals on for atleast 5 seconds to actually land 4 on my stringer. I helped a buddy get 1 more for his stringer and we left 1 fish short of our 3 man limit. Definitely feel like you earn them on a day like yesterday

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The weekend was ridiculous fishing. Saturday we prefished for the sunday tourney, so we hopped all around picking fish all over. Sunday we had limits by 8 and starting trying to upgrade. Being a "Jack Only" tourney, I naturally caught 3 big females by the mouth, 1 going around 10lbs. All were released. I bet I seen 50 legal females caught on Sunday at Orleans Park. Getting ready to leave work at 3:30 to head to Buttonwood and get a quick limit. It's maintenance week here at work so I can come in late or leave early as I please. I probably will fish every day from here on out this week. Should be non stop action

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Took about 45 minutes yesterday. There was hardly anybody fishing, which made it nice. Turned out to be a great night. Home by 6:30, lawn mowed and fish cleaned by 7:30, and got to take my 4 year old around town on a bike ride. Im headed back up today at 3:30. Hopefully it goes half as well as it did yesterday

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I usually make a trip or 2 every year with friends. I grew up on Erie. My parents and Grandparents and aunts and uncles all had places at the campground and all had boats. My Dad worked 4 on, 4 off. So I stayed up there all summer with someone and fished basically every day. Even as a teenager back then, my extended family always wanted me in their boat to help get their limits. It's just so darn expensive to run up there in the summers like we used to. But a good day jigging on the reefs in the spring is hard to match.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Wind was tough yesterday. On the way up I called my buddy and he said he seen 1 walleye caught in 3 hours. When I got there, everybody was standing about 10 feet from shore. So I grabbed my buddy and we walked out and upstream about 30 yards from everyone and immediately got into fish. I was surprised that people actually waited till we caught 4 fish in 15 minutes before bombarding us and fugging up our program. Took another 45 minutes to get our limits finished. Heading up this afternoon again

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Helluva weekend for us Toozers. There was the first annual James McCallister Memorial Walleye Tournament on the river Saturday. It was a beautiful day, lots of smaller fish with a few decent ones sprinkled in. I hope to find the official weights posted online somewhere to post up later. Fellow Toozers, Kujo (Chad) and Oopsagain (Don) took first place ($1500) with about 17.4lbs. Myself and Ohiowhitetails (Nate) took 2nd ($800) and I believe Swantucky and HaleyBrock took 5th despite a rather late hungover start by Randall. It was a nicely run tournament with lots of great food and prizes. The proceeds of the tourney went to the family of James' for his 2 young children he left behind. I know Kujo and Don donated a good portion of their prize back, as well as Nate and I. We fished beside his 2 good buddies and had a blast with them just bullshitting and fishing. Hopefully it's something they put together every year like they did this year.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Headed back up tomorrow. Fishing sounds a bit tough lately due to the wind. Im guessing the crowds should be way down from here on out. This is the time of the run I love best. Generally you can get to your best "spots within a spot" and pick out a limit for the next 2 weeks

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The last few days, crossing the bridge, I could count the fisherman on one hand.

oopsagain

Thanks for the mention Red.. I did enjoy the day... The organizers did a fantastic job with the weigh in. Great food and some nice door prizes.. It was damn cool to have Toozers and former members from Mike's site finish so well.

Last edited: