Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New rule for deer season

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great point indeed Adam.
It's almost like not turning down quality time spent with a loved one, cause you never know. It could in fact be the last chance you ever have?

rsmith

This says it all, I passed on a buck I knew I shouldn't have and now I'm wondering if he will make it through till next year or not

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great read. It epitomizes my current deer hunting mentality as well. Not because I lack opportunities, but because I've never really been good at finding the big ones. Lol. I just get more enjoyment out of it without the added pressures of chasing big deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good read. I'm guilty of passing deer I shouldn't. But I think we all define what shouldn't means to us. I have a habit of picking a deer who has reached potential and setting my sights on him and only him. Over the past couple years I have let some nice bucks walk or not targeted them all together. My reason for doing this was mostly because I was targeting a single deer. Sure those other bucks would've been nice hanging on the wall. And I absolutely hope to see them next year. The difference is I don't judge my success by the deer I put an arrow through. Two seasons ago on opening day I passed a deer at 10 yards that was 156 inches. Less than 30 days later someone else killed it. He doesn't have to be in my wall for me to know his ass was mine.

This year I shot one that barely made it over 130. The difference is the year I passed the 156 there was a 180 running around. I actually shot at and missed him during gun season. If I would have shot that deer on opening day I would never have had the chance to miss that 180. So I do not regret it at all. Matter-of-fact I would pass on a barrel full of 156s to take those shots again. The deer I shot last year was a mature deer. I had two other 140-145 deer around but they have good potential. So when the 130 stepped out he got it. In the end all signs point to a successful hunt, be it missing a 180, passing a 156, or killing a 130.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is it the hunt or the kill? It is the hunt for me. I have been very fortunate. I have some good land to hunt. That can change in a heartbeat. When it does, my attitude won't change. I might be bummed, but I will still hunt. Being out there is more important than killing a monster. I may not shoot another buck for many years because my sights are on mature deer. I am okay with this. I will still be out there enjoying it.

Like Joe, I have passed on some nice bucks. Some made it, some didn't, some disappeared. Knowing you are at full draw at 20yds and let down to watch them walk away is good enough. Knowing you outsmarted them is better to me than tagging them. It is the challenge of the hunt rather than the inches on their head. Of course, if a mature buck is in front of me I am shooting. 120" or 160", mature buck is getting an arrow.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feel like this article was written for me. When dad acquired our farm (80 acres) in 2005, I was well on my way to becoming a full on whitetail addict. I was certain that our little piece of heaven would enable me to become the Mark Drury of SE Ohio. I had dreams of filming hunts, writing articles and all out selling my soul to the industry in order to snag my piece of the pie, and our farm was the key to fulfilling those dreams. I immersed myself in habitat management, pouring time and money in to our place at a feverish pace. Although I only had one mature whitetail to my credit, I started passing deer that were mature (3+) in an effort to kill what I deemed an acceptable buck: 4+ and 140+. As the years passed, I lost track of what hunting was all about. I was measuring my “success” in the inches of antler that were not on my wall. By 2012, I was fed up with bowhunting despite what is really a solid track record. In an 8 year period, I killed 3 bucks that were 6.5 years old with scores ranging from 110-139’. In the highly pressured hills of southern Ohio, I had done well for myself and yet, I forsake it. Instead I was fixated on the should haves, could haves and would haves; a wall that is FAR more impressive than my actual wall. I considered myself a failure because I’d failed at putting a deer on the ground that met an arbitrary number.

The reality is I am a good bowhunter. I should be proud of what I have accomplished. And I’ve had multiple opportunities on deer that I banked which would tickle the vast majority of bowhunters. Now with a career that demands much of my time and a family that demands the rest, my hours on stand are limited. As my daughter continues to grow, so will her interest in hunting (so I hope) and my time on stand will diminish even more. I’ve reached a point in my career where I too have to stop banking bucks. Deer that are 3 years old ARE mature in my neck of the woods. Deer that are 3 AND reach in to the mid to upper 130s ARE shooters for the new version of me as a bowhunter. Where I live and hunt, if I am consistently killing 3 year old 130s (which I could have done in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2014, but did not) I will have reached a level of success that I can be proud of. The new me will be proud of that. I also believe that after a few years of success on that level, the dam will break and I’ll finally kill that big one I have been after all along.

My bowhunting career has been as much a mental struggle as it has been a struggling in killing target deer. I’ve formed “relationships” with deer that were unhealthy; they took a toll that should have never been extracted. Those same deer died at the hands of other hunters, vehicles, poachers and probably disease. I tried too hard to control the things I could not control. Joe stated he would rather pass a barrel full of 156s to shoot at a few 180s. I tried that with deer relative to my area (130s for 160s) and it sucks. To that I say: Fuck It. Time to start kill the bird in the hand; screw the two in the bush.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know i have been guilty of letting some nice bucks walk but as i get older i just enjoy my time out there and if i see one i like i will try to take him but will prob let a few walk.
Using the recurve now i wont be as picky and just be glad to get an opportunity at a nice buck in bow range.
Also it does not bother me at all to eat tag soup,have done it several yrs waiting on that "one" buck but like i said ,doesnt have to be that "one" to satisfy me.

Mooosie

I take outdoor life and had already read the artical and I agree we do not know if we will ever see that deer again heck we don't know if we will ever have another hunt, enjoy the one you are blessed with!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm with the most of the guys who wrote a response on this read. I've had the pleasure of deer hunting since 1966 so it's been 49 yrs. now with this season. I've lived and hunted through the rough times and the good times of Ohio deer hunting. From zero deer to what we have today. Even though some locations in Ohio are in a down turn. But I'm fortune enough to have a up swing of deer numbers here. I believe this is because of the fact the adjoining neighbor put in a 100 ac. of horse hay crop and there is almost too much brush draws for deer cover. It's tough drawing the deer to a hunting location.
I re-started bow hunting in earnest in 2012 and left several nice bucks walk by me as I wanted a nice 1st buck with a bow. I took that nice 8 pt. buck with a bow in 2013 so the monkey was off my back but it sorta put a larger nasty monkey on my back to get a really nice buck with a bow. I'm still thinking that one out but will take the 1st nice buck that walks in front of me. But unless I sorta know there's a bigger buck in the area that I have a chance at. Now there's that damn monkey again.
I'm in my 3rd year of developing my farm for deer now with the expanding food plots. I'm amazed at the deer I've drawn to my farm because of the food plots attraction. It will take the next couple of years to find the real results.

So what am I saying? I need couple more years to get this big buck monkey off my back. I enjoy deer hunting and being retired I enjoy it to the fullest. The family has a difficult time understanding my desires but I explain to them I'm not hurting myself or anyone else so they leave me alone.

Damn I'm having a tough time putting into words what I'm feeling. But in short no decent buck walking in front of me is going to be safe but damn I still want a big one. Damn there's that monkey on my back again. Wish me luck killing this monkey on my back.

Great article! I would say the new rule should simply be to get as many memories out there when you can because you don't know if you'll have 'next season' to look forward to. Does that mean you shoot the first good buck or wait for the dandy you've got on trail camera? Heck when you're in the moment, you'll know. Does every season have to end with a gut pile for you to feel satisfied? No, not for me. The buck I shot last year I had decided early on that I was going to pass him when I saw him on trail camera pictures. When he stepped out and did what he did as well as how cool he looked, that was enough for me. Had I missed I would have been just as satisfied as Joe mentioned above.

Taking my target buck after a 3 1/2 season quest has me pondering about the up coming season. I'm not sure where my priorities will lie just yet. I truly enjoy the pursuit of a particular buck that I have gotten to know well. But, only time will tell what my expectations are this fall. I find passing bucks and easy thing to do most times. I've only had one buck that I let walk that I truly regret.