Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How's shed hunting going?

Bucks separate themselves from does typically around this time of the year. I found many areas in the snow where large hoof prints and balled up shit. I would assume a lot of the deer traffic in these areas were bucks. I guess there is no guarantee. I found a few areas where rubs were present as well.

PPG is bow only for deer. No handguns, slugs, or rifles are permitted. You can hunt small game with a shotgun, though. You can also hunt waterfowl and turkey as well. This is back in Northeast Ohio. PPG is all over the place, but this property they own is specifically in the Akron area.

Beds. Edges. Travel corridors. Bedding areas being number 1 place "I" find them. Edges second because generally in NW Ohio there are few wood lots. Transitioning from field to woods or bedding areas is easily covered by hunting for sheds along the edges. Also helps locate trails or travel corridors I might have previously overlooked. Travel paths are last because it seems "to me" these are the heavily used doe trails. I could be full of bad info. Just seems like the way it works in my areas. Travel paths also seem to take me on some random routes which tend to split or veer off in one way or another. They don't go straight N/S or E/W like our highways take us in our vehicles. Looking down for sheds I tend to follow a path and look up realizing I just went back to an area I had just searched. lol

PPG? Bow only areas? We maintain the local PPG grounds for snow and some other property maintenance. It is a PPG warehouse. They don't really have any huntable ground. They do have plenty of signs which say "no guns" or "no smoking."

Although I may be wrong I am pretty sure the only site that PPG allows hunting on at least in Ohio is there Barberton Plant (I work there). This just based off of what other employees have told me.

The property is actually approx.. 2000 acres of which though some of it is not really huntable in that there just big fields.

Right like the Lime Lakes. Have you by any chance noticed all the coyotes out there? I have seen them multiple times and I noticed a few dead deer carcasses laying around the property.

I actually found a dead coyote....???? had no bullet holes or signs or abuse but just bleed out the ears like it had some sort of internal brain damage it was weird and definitely startling when I walked up on it but other than that no although that is good in that I plan to snare next year.