Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2015 Season Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hung one hell of a set this evening and forgot to get pics. Took almost 3 hours to hang it, cut lanes and cut my access, but it should be well worth it. Been nice to have had some help though! I'm wore out. It's hung on the point of an oak flat that's adjacent to an overgrown field. I'm covering two well worn trails crossing the fence and can see in to the field to call at anything cruising the far edge. I had a stand here early in my career and didn't realize how good a spot it really was. Felt good to finally get back in there and get one hung.

Planting plots and finishing stands this weekend, then it's time to shoot, shoot, shoot. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming season. Been a few years since I've felt this kind of positive anticipation.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent 10 years wandering the farm and found something I've missed all these years. I usually stay in the creek below this or walk the ridge line above. Since there is no shelf, I rarely walk across the face of the hill. While clearing access to one of my stands today, I stumbled on to one hell of a trail I've never noticed. It was headed the same general direction I was so, I followed it out and found this. It's a natural seep and it has to be salty. There was no real standing water and it's less than 100 yards from the best water hole on the entire farm. It was absolutely torn up. Good thing I had a camera with me!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HA! I've had to take steroids 3 years in a row now thanks to getting in to it out there. It's all over the place. Right behind us it is mowed, so there is no real fear of getting any.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Did a little speed scouting this weekend and the lack of acorns is going to make for some tough sits in my better spots. My cameras have seen a drastic drop in pictures over the past two weeks, which tells me there are at least some acorns falling. However based on what I saw (or didn't see) it won't be long before they are cleaned up. My food plots should be pretty tempting once we get our first frost. Overall, I still feel good about what lies ahead. I'm off this Friday so I can check my cams and get clothes ready. Hopefully I can tag a doe this weekend as I have an uncle in a rough spot right now and the meat would go a long way in helping him out.

I appreciate those of you who follow along throughout the season. Hopefully I'll have more to share than pictures of leaves!