Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2015 Season Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He will cut it. Typically alfalfa will be ready to cut 60-75 days after it emerges. Once a stand is established, guys typically cut it 4 times a year with the ocassional 5th cutting in the fall weather permitting. This guy does things right, so I expect it to be a stellar stand of alfalfa.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
He will cut it. Typically alfalfa will be ready to cut 60-75 days after it emerges. Once a stand is established, guys typically cut it 4 times a year with the ocassional 5th cutting in the fall weather permitting. This guy does things right, so I expect it to be a stellar stand of alfalfa.

good stuff man!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well things got even better this weekend. The farmer who bought the cows and is farming our place came out to get soil sample on the fields. While he was there, dad asked him to go check out our big bottom field to see if he thought it was possible to plant it in something. He came back and delivered the news: "I can work with it. I'll put corn down there this year."

This is truly a dream come true and will most certainly elevate the hunting to new levels. My sanctuary borders this field and it is the most secluded spot on the farm. It is also in the heart of the farm. Having crops in this field will be incredible!

So imagine this is corn, then beans...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That field planted in crops will literally be killer. The seclusion should make for some day time activity, I can see it now, bucks chasing does all over that field and the woods surrounding it! The standing corn should hold some good deer as well, do you have any oaks in the woods beside that field?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Going to be killer! Wish someone would have told you this and offered to help you plant it before. Imagine what the years of work in those areas would have done to educate the local herd:smiley_crazy:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After several weeks of feeling guilty about not having minerals or a camera in the woods, I took advantage of the beautiful day yesterday and took my daughter to the farm for a while. We loaded up the Kubota and headed off to see how the mineral site looked after several months of neglect. I started this site in March of 2006 and it has been a good one. I've traditionally used my homebrew mix on this site and it has always done well. After running out, I needed to purchase more ingredients to make a new batch, but really didn't want to fool with it to be honest. Last year I put a trace mineral block in my backyard and it saw a lot of use. It was completely dissolved by September, but the deer are digging a hole up there this spring. I decided this was a ringing endorsement and went cheap, and easy this year. The block was $6, the bag of salt, $4.50. Hard to argue with that really.

It was nice to have some help for once!

Here is how we found the site and what I used. Even without it being freshened since last April, it had seen some light traffic...

After cleared off all the muck, I spread 30 pounds of the stock salt and mixed it in, then set the block on the middle of the site. Once that was done, it was time to hang the Browning Strike Force. This was K's first camera hang, so I hope she brings some good luck!

When we were done with that, it was time to clean up the trail leading to the creek just below the site. I loved playing in the creek growing up and K loves stomping around in the water. I look forward to teaching her the fine art of catching crawldads...

I remember an eager young man who would have showered, worn clean clothes, smoked up, worn rubber gloves, and only done this under the immediate threat of rain, or actually in the rain. Yesterday was the most satisfying and enjoyable mineral site/camera hang I've ever been a part of. Whether I ever get pics of a deer or not, the pictures above are the best ones that site will generate all summer!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Love reading your posts about little K makes my day.... I remember taking my two into the woods and the water.... Great memories and you have the pictures too remind you.....