Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wolves and delisting

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's one of the 23 taken two years ago. It was taken near the porcupine mountains 15 miles from my buddy's camp. He didn't take a deer up there last season because there weren't any. uploadfromtaptalk1426687904865.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426687920660.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426687932019.jpg

bruce

This pisses me off to no end. How can one judge put the wolf back on the endangerd list. In the U.P. of Michigan. residence there are having it tough because there are so many wolves. For one, The deer population has gone to shit. So there are a lot less people going up there to deer hunt. Hurting local business. Bear hunters using dogs have had there dogs killed by wolves. Farmers loosing livestock to wolves. The much anticipated moose hunting opportunities have been all but forgotten because the moose numbers have crumbled because of the wolves.
What happens when theres nothing left but wolves?

Michigan had its first wolf hunt 2 years ago and killed 23 wolves. Last years hunt was canceled because of outside idiots.

Last year the MDNR radiao collard 15 does. In less the 4 months, All 15 does were killed by wolves.

Its hard to believe how fast they can populate. The MDNR says there are at least 700 wolves in the U.P. Local clubs say there are many more then that.
Populations need to be controlled by the state. Not some idiot sitting behind a desk that don't have a clue whats going on.

Wolves have been seen as far back as 2002 in lower Michigan. Soon they will be in Ohio, Breeding like cats.

What you guys think about wolves and there population control?

Protections for gray wolf are reinstated

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Thursday reinstated protections for the gray wolf in Wisconsin and other states.

Gary Kramer

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Thursday reinstated protections for the gray wolf in Wisconsin and other states.

Feb. 19, 2015

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Thursday reinstated protections under the federal Endangered Species Act for the gray wolf in Wisconsin and nearby states after a federal judged in December struck down the agency's decision to remove protections.

The agency's actions apply to Wyoming, as well as Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and portions of North and South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

There are substantial populations of wolves in Wyoming, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan.

The Fish and Wildlife Service removed federal protections for gray wolves in 2012 and turned over management — and decisions on how to control their burgeoning populations — to states.

But for years before the agency's action, wolves have been at the center of a debate about the appropriate level of protection for the animals.

In December, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell in Washington, D.C., ruled that the removal by the agency was "arbitrary and capricious" and violates the Endangered Species Act.

Thursday's action by the agency officially reinstates protections for the wolf.

The state's wolf hunting season ended before the judge's ruling. The most recent wolf hunting and trapping season ended with 154 wolves registered, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

Last week, U.S. Rep. Reid Ribble, a Green Bay Republican, introduced legislation that would restore wolves to their former unprotected status.

. .
I'm for predator control just as I am for controlling numbers of hoofed mammals when the exceed the carrying capacity of the land. But if one truly cares and understands the true dynamics of a healthy ecosystem, one will soon learn that a balanced wolf population versus no wolves is bad for a healthy deer herd. Not to mention all the other benefits from wolves, as you will see in this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
The wolves are out of balance in upper Michigan. There are just way to many of them. They are killing to many deer and even the moose that the state put so much in to.
Deer coming over the bridge this past season was down over 50%.
If the MDNR wants to have wolf hunts that tells you that there are no deer left.

Bigcountry40

This is a little off the subject, but I think it adds to the point. I had a buddy that worked on a ranch in Montana. State Biologist set up some kind of barbwire fencing to collect hair follicles from grizzly bears and various other animals. Well it was estimated that there were only so many grizzlies in Montana and that the grizzly needed to be on the endangered species list or threatened species list because of the low #'s. Well the field study with the barbwire fence collected evidence of more than twice the estimated population of grizzly for the entire state on the single ranch property (which was large amount of acreage). The state Biologist were well aware of much larger grizzly population, they told my buddy if the true population was ever made public, most of the biologist would be out of jobs.

I apologize if my post is a little confusing, I can't remember exact #'s and do not want to miss speak, I think all of you understand my point and how bureaucracies really works.